Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fresh water leak solved

I had an annoying leak leading into my stb engine room. I finally spent some time yesterday tracking it down and found it under the master head sink. PO hose clamped clear vinyl hose on to the copper which they had apparently cut. This was the hot water line and I'm sure the heating and cooling was more than the vinyl and hose clamps could handle. (They did add a shutoff valve so I'll give them that.) I was able to get a 3/8 to 1/2 inch shark bite adapter from Home Depot, attache to the copper, step up to pex and complete the install. (Sharkbite ball valves don't come in 3/8 size so I had to step up from 3/8 copper to 1/2 inch pex.) Worked like a charm. I'm a bit bruised and sore after the boat yoga to cut and tap into the copper under the shower seat but all went well. Here is the mess I found. Photo Jan 01, 10 32 00 AM sm.jpg
    (There was a ground wire from the terminal block hose clamped to both the copper lines. I checked with Rusty and his boat has the same wire so I have to complete that task since I'm all pex in that area now.)
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Re: Fresh water leak solved

Let’s see the finished product.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Let’s see the finished product.
    Here you go.
    Photo Jan 04, 8 18 11 AM.jpgPhoto Jan 04, 8 19 09 AM.jpg
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

Hello,

Where did you did you find the shark bite that fits onto the 1/2" OD copper, I have repairs to make and cannot find that fitting.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Home Depot may have them. You have to use a "step down" connector 3/8 sharkbite to 1/2 sharkbite if you want to put any valves in line. Sharkbite doesn't make a 3/8 valve. If you see where I connected to the copper, that is the step down (in our case step up). Then the rest is 1/2" pex.
    Here is a great resource for all things pex/sharkbite. This link takes you to the 3/8 size stuff but Supply House is great for a lot of things.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...%2F8+sharkbite
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

Oh, and I would get one of these to make the cleanup of the copper easier. I couldn't find it without the drill shank in 3/8 size but I'm working on adding some shut off valves to lines in the engine room and the copper is all painted in the ER. I didn't feel like hand sanding them to get to clean metal.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Mill-Ros...-1-4-Hex-Shank
    John Novotny
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    Sweet wanna do mine, Plenty of hose sections, and folded and flattened copper on the Hot side. Guessing before the Water heater was removed, New one and plumbing on the spring to do's.