Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Window Repair in Michigan

My 1988 40 DC is in need of window repair.Grand Cru is in storage in Northport MI. The yard will remove and reinstall the windows but cannot do the repairs.Does anyone know of a vendor who can do this?Thanks.-george

Re: Window Repair in Michigan

What does it need? If its a slider and just needs new glass, it is easy to remove just the glass and replace it. Any glass shop can cut a replacement.

If its a stationary window, any glass shop can cut and install that was well. The directions to bed the glass are in the "tips and Tricks" section of this website.

https://www.samsmarine.com/new/Manua...stallation.pdf

The glass is laminated glass with a Solex tint. Its very common and most shops have it in stock. I'm sure there are glass shops in Traverse City that could do this for you.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 12-12-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky Cheney,

Great resource for framed windows, would you have knowledge on rebedding my frameless windows for 98 43CNV?
    Attached Images

We made our own fiberglass frameless panels so all I can tell you is how we attached the tempered glass to the frames.
    Everything was from Sikaflex.
    1st we glued 1/8" (i think, could have been 1/4") rubber blocks to the frame so the glass would not push out all of the adhesive.
    2nd taped off the glass leaving a border for a glass etch product on the area to be glued.
    3nd taped off (again) the glass leaving a border to be primed with a Sika primer that was black.
    4th taped the crap out of everything and then applied Sika glass adhesive leaving the edge of the glass out to the edge of the frame without adhesive, 1/4".
    5th used some sort of Sika Silicone in the remaining gap because the Sika adhesive holding the glass in did not have the best UV resistance.
    Our glass is installed on the outside so we used some fancy suction cups on the inside snugged up to some 2x4's with rope as clamps until the glue dried, think it was just over night.
    That was probably 25 years ago and all we have done since is to pull the silicone and re-applied that part, the attachment adhesive is still 100%.

Maybe call Hatteras to find out how they installed the glass at the factory?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thank you very much Cricket...Best
    Jackpot

98 43' CNV # 27

Pretty sure we contacted a Sika rep to go over everything, think we originally got info from a guy that did a lot of Viking window repairs/installs.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E