Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wanted to buy 46' mid 80's Convertible

Hello All,

I'm actively in the market for a mid-80's convertible. Ideal candidates would be 45' 46' and maybe even the 43' models. I usually try to buy on the cheap, but I'm looking for a nice example of an unmolested boat. If the boat has been changed in any way, a repower would be nice and any decor must be done classically in wood, and not painted or papered over. You guys know the series of each model, but since I want to keep this one for a while, i'd prefer one of the boats with a single-skin hull, bottom and sides. I do realize that Hatteras never really had hullside coring issues.
    By the way, I've always favored Hatteras and still do, however would consider a nice Bertram, Viking or Post-2 from after 88. Mostly, looking for a solid, classic vessel with good maintenance and power.
    Can't need exterior paint or rebuilds. Not into that kind of aggravation or expense.

Oh, by the way....East Coast only and Mid-Atlantic is best.

Thanks,
    Vince

Re: Wanted to buy 46' mid 80's Convertible

Depends what you’re using it for personally the best offshore boat is the 46HP 82-83 I ran one new out of cape may running the offshore canyons new it hit 28 kts cruise at 26. The 84-85 45 can’t,compare in a seaway
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If you do a google search eventually you will find a thread from this forum where this discussion took place. Previous owner of my boat (Capt Dave Disesa) chimes in and pointed out all the differences in the 82-84 46's VS the more price pointed 45's that came after it. Worth looking for and great read on the vintage convertibles being sought out.

Mine still can hit nearly 28 knots. That only happens when mechanic is on board and we are PM testing. Fantastic boat.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    If you do a google search eventually you will find a thread from this forum where this discussion took place. Previous owner of my boat (Capt Dave Disesa) chimes in and pointed out all the differences in the 82-84 46's VS the more price pointed 45's that came after it. Worth looking for and great read on the vintage convertibles being sought out.

Mine still can hit nearly 28 knots. That only happens when mechanic is on board and we are PM testing. Fantastic boat.
    Madhatter, thanks! I know Dave (or should I say, I knew him!) He delivered a 52C from FL to MD for me about 8 years ago. Very knowledgeable guy and a great Detroit resource. He's answered several questions for me on Sam's. I'll have to try to find that discussion.

Quite honestly at this point there’s not a lot out there that’s been unmolested or not beat.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Wink Re: Wanted to buy 46' mid 80's Convertible

Buy something with easy engine room access, you will be in there more that the stateroom.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/ar...p/t-21701.html

Stumbles across the thread I spoke of so here it is. Hope link works.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Funny how in 2013 a mint example was 100k

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

I have a 1984 46HP series II we could part with, kids and sports are preventing us from using her as much as we would like to. She's not perfect but we ran her Easter Sunday and spent the night on her too. $70K as is/where is
    1984 Hurley 36 Express sold
    1974 46C series I sold
    1984 46HP series II

Hello,

Is this the same Vince that was interested in my 42c before covid? I hope you and family are well. Do you still have that fast trawler and downsizing?

Walt Hoover