Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Opinions/experience re: Porta-Bote

Still looking for a replacement for my Avon RHIB, and these have caught my eye. Not so much for the foldability, since I'd probably leave it open, but for the light weight, making it easier to deploy and store on the flybridge. Does anyone have any direct knowledge of how well these function as a tender? Ride quality, wet/dry ride, stability, etc., particularly as opposed to a hard-bottom RHIB of similar LOA.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Re: Opinions/experience re: Porta-Bote

Well, they are weird, but cool. They flex a lot, which means the ride quality is actually very good. They row pretty well. They aren't like anything else- the entire boat flexes over waves etc, not a lot, but you can feel and see it. They seem sturdy to me. I'd get a ride on one before I bought it. They do deploy quickly and they are very tough- I don't think they need a lot of maintenance. Not especially pretty.

I have only rowed one, not run it with an outboard, btw.

x2 on try it (I did) before you buy it (I did not.) Very diff ride from a RIB IMHO.

I have owned a porta-bote for many years. The grandchildren used to se often. It is awkward to look at but works great. Nice solid transom, 3 seats, all padded, very comfortable boat for fishing. Easy to fold up and store on the flybridge or foredeck. I don't use it much anymore, but requires zero maintenance. I would sell it if anyone needs one. Highly recommend them.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

It all depends where you will use it. I'd be hesitant to depend on it in the Bahamas, or use it for longer dink tours. Especially those that cut across inlets.
    Regards
    Dan

Yes, and my experience with it was rowing in fairly quiet water in the Severn River here in Annapolis. Maximum 1 ft waves if that. It was fine. I can't comment on what one would be like in the Bay or in rougher water. BTW they are light and easy to maneuver around, I did notice that.

Not to push W@$ Marine .. but they now have a RIB where the bottom folds in half - so it would fold from top to bottom. Sounds pretty neat for storage and transport. I've been trying to see one on the floor, but no luck in any of the stores. It's PVC so not as durable, but cheaper - you get what you pay for.

When i think of a RIB, the picture allows for 15+ knots, we pull a skier with ours, not needing any fenders, the ability to overload the RIB for a short trip to the beach and the option to tow it on short hops to the next port of call.

I don't think the ports boat lends it's self well to the above.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

No, probably not.