Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning sightglass of raw water filter

Got to get a load of barnacles off of the inside of two groco arg sight glasses. I'm afraid of scratching them up or crazing the polycarbonate(?) with too strong a chemical. anyone got a method for this? Thanks

Re: Cleaning sightglass of raw water filter

Called Groco directly and they recommend 'barnacle buster' by trac. Says they use it all the time at the factory and is completely effective and harmless to the sightglass. I think if it works this well it might be a substitute for the muriatic acid flush on the air conditioning raw water side and perhaps even the heat exchangers on mains and gensets.

I've used Barnacle Buster by Trac for many years and I can attest to it's performance. Works great on of AC and site glasses of raw water strainers.... Never tried it on heat exchangers but it will probably work fine. It's a good bit safer than acid which is a major consideration.

Walt

We had stuff other than barnacles blocking viewing ours and leaks to boot. We took them apart,cleaned with household stuff and polished in and out with plastic cleaner which had a fine abrasive and followed with polish. Time for both was 12 hours. They look almost new!

Barnacle Buster is nothing more than high priced diluted phosphoric acid. Always read the MSDS sheet to see what you are buying. From their web site:

Hazardous ingredients : Phosphoric Acid 85%
    Approx. concentration. (%) : 5% -20%
    #CAS – NA or UN : 7664 – 38-2
    DL 50 (specific type and way) : 3,500 mg/kg FLAMMABILITY : <0>
    Limit of exposition : none REACTIVITY : <0>
    HEALTH : <1>
    SECTION II- PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Buy phosphoric acid from Home Depot and dilute it 5 or 6 to one with water. Be sure to add the acid to water, not the other way around. I like to add some oxalic acid to the mix. This is how you should be doing any acid cleaning in the ER, not with hydrochloric (muriatic) acid.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Barnacle Buster is nothing more than high priced diluted phosphoric acid. Always read the MSDS sheet to see what you are buying. From their web site:

Hazardous ingredients : Phosphoric Acid 85%
    Approx. concentration. (%) : 5% -20%
    #CAS – NA or UN : 7664 – 38-2
    DL 50 (specific type and way) : 3,500 mg/kg FLAMMABILITY : <0>
    Limit of exposition : none REACTIVITY : <0>
    HEALTH : <1>
    SECTION II- PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Buy phosphoric acid from Home Depot and dilute it 5 or 6 to one with water. Be sure to add the acid to water, not the other way around. I like to add some oxalic acid to the mix. This is how you should be doing any acid cleaning in the ER, not with hydrochloric (muriatic) acid.

Bobk
    I was going to research this so I'm glad you brought it up. I see the kleen strip prep and etch (@ home depot) appears to be less than 50% acid with the rest minor chemical additions and water. Naval jelly is only 30% phosphoric acid. reducing either of these at 5-6:1 would give a very weak mixture. Which product are you referring to when you say to purchase phosphoric acid? Thanks

I just got done flushing both engines and AC units using diluted Skyco OSPHO. I paid $25/gal for it. It is phosphoric acid too. Genesis posted instructions about how to do it in the FAQ section.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    i was going to research this so i'm glad you brought it up. I see the kleen strip prep and etch (@ home depot) appears to be less than 50% acid with the rest minor chemical additions and water. Naval jelly is only 30% phosphoric acid. Reducing either of these at 5-6:1 would give a very weak mixture. Which product are you referring to when you say to purchase phosphoric acid? Thanks
    ospho

I learned of a non-acid product when in Stuart, Fl two years ago for cleaning a/c's, coolers, and heat exchangers. Label says Triton Marine cleaner/descaler, 100% acid free, caustic free,non- corrosive, safe on metals, removes calcium & sludge, 100% biodegradable. Does not list ingredients. I bought two 2gal. jugs and have used it on my a/c's, eskimo icemaker, steering cooler, and gear coolers. It works well and you can circulate it thru the system or leave it in place for a couple of days without any metal damage. I bought it from a marine tech who used it a lot on cleaning marine raw water systems of all types including heat exchanges without possible damage from acid products. Has worked well so far. Should do a good job on raw water sightglass too.
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-13-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    I learned of a non-acid product when in Stuart, Fl two years ago for cleaning a/c's, coolers, and heat exchangers. Label says Triton Marine cleaner/descaler, 100% acid free, caustic free,non- corrosive, safe on metals, removes calcium & sludge, 100% biodegradable. Does not list ingredients. I bought two 2gal. jugs and have used it on my a/c's, eskimo icemaker, steering cooler, and gear coolers. It works well and you can circulate it thru the system or leave it in place for a couple of days without any metal damage. I bought it from a marine tech who used it a lot on cleaning marine raw water systems of all types including heat exchanges without possible damage from acid products. Has worked well so far. Should do a good job on raw water sightglass too.
    Interesting. The MSDS has no information. Does it bubble or froth as it works? Any odor?

Bobk