Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: GFCI failure at the panel and solution to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    But it’s not on a 53MY so be careful. I don’t think some of you MY want to be seen talking to a C driver.
    Stop talking to him John. He’s not one of us. 😂😆😘 actually Roberts a great guy have fun.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Talking Re: GFCI failure at the panel and solution to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Stop talking to him John. He’s not one of us.  actually Roberts a great guy have fun.
    Aw-shucks
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

First take a look to see what is actually on that ships service. Some of the ships services don't feed any recepticles(just A/C for instance). If there is a breaker or two that feeds plugs, you could instead replace those with a GFI breaker. The later 80's boats had those instead of the ground fault for each ships service as they did in the late 70's.

Alternately, you can wire a standard GFI to replace that white breaker in the panel. SAMs has a wiring diagram for adding that.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 12-06-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    First take a look to see what is actually on that ships service. Some of the ships services don't feed any recepticles(just A/C for instance). If there is a breaker or two that feeds plugs, you could instead replace those with a GFI breaker. The later 80's boats had those instead of the ground fault for each ships service as they did in the late 70's.

Alternately, you can wire a standard GFI to replace that white breaker in the panel. SAMs has a wiring diagram for adding that.
    Thanks Sky. This ships service is all the receptacles unfortunately (or fortunately). Thanks for the tip to contact Sams for the wiring diagram. I'll do that today.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

5. Re: GFCI failure at the panel and solution to fix it

To make life easy why not just replace all the outlets with a GFI outlet?

Only one I a chain can be gfci. I'd look at how their run. If in a daisy chain only the first needs to be changed. Tbe rest are protected by the first in the line.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Only one I a chain can be gfci. I'd look at how their run. If in a daisy chain only the first needs to be changed. Tbe rest are protected by the first in the line.
    That's actually what I was planning to do and asked in my original post if anyone knew the daisy chain sequence so at least I'd have a starting point. Otherwise it is trial and error (ie shut off breaker, open one receptacle, disconnect hot lead and cap, turn on breaker and test other receptacles in the chain.) With the way my luck runs I'm pretty sure it will take a few failed guesses before I get the most upstream receptacle. As was pointed out, even if someone does know the sequence on their boat I'm still going to be testing to be sure! Each of the two lower circuits have at least 7 receptacles on the circuit. Wish me luck finding the first.
    (the upper level circuits are much less onerous with only 2 or possibly 3 receptacles.)
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

I just got the schematics for my boat, but it is a '78, not a '79. If you don't have them, you should give Vicki a call at Hatteras, they are only $70 + shipping. I will post what mine say as far as chains when I get home tonight.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

This is what I love about this forum. Everyone helping each other through issues.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I just got the schematics for my boat, but it is a '78, not a '79. If you don't have them, you should give Vicki a call at Hatteras, they are only $70 + shipping. I will post what mine say as far as chains when I get home tonight.
    Remember not all were wired the same. Use it as a starting point but dont trust all to be accurate
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.