Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Reengineering an air conditioning unit to “marine” use. Purists should cover the

Quote Originally Posted by spcoolin View Post
    Mario~

You asked...So here we go...

Your return duct idea/application would not lend itself well to the installation of one of these Marine Air handlers that are rated, and would take up much less space...But you have already cut your hole thru the overhead for the grill...Question: Did you frame it so the a pan overflow might not enter the cabin ?~
    Yes, The collar that is glassed in is aprox. 4-5" high. water tested, no leaks
    http://www.dometic.com/0752f0f0-b5d3...1f1accbd.fodoc

They already have the return plenum made for you and provide dual blower outlets...Maybe you weren't aware of them ???

I also don't see any advantage to your unit with sheet metal plenum's attached with rivets & silver tape in a very damp environment...Service to any of that as I see it would be an issue...Keeping it sealed may be another...Silver tape is good in an attic, but in my experience does not hold up in salt air, or much moisture...It won't stay inside a cold air plenum or duct either...There is some that will (it has a gummy backing instead of just glue) but what I see you have won't...Be prepared to redo all of that shortly...Remember, anytime you are running that unit you are drawing in salty, humid air... ~
    Thats a pretty neat system in your link. No, I wasn't aware of them as I'm not in the business like yourself. As I've mentioned the structural integraty of this design remains to be seen. I will report my findings.

Just for everyone's knowledge...Cruisair equipment costs for both units would be around $5500...Before I discount it to you (so similar to home equipment pricing which I can't quote on-line, it's a Dometic no-no) For top of the line Marine equipment....~
    Thanks! If my system decides to stop operating or decides to become problematic, I'll take you up of the discount.
    I can't help but believe that installing the Marine equipment might not be similar, or less work than what was done here...
    ~
    No, you are right, the labor involved in this project would have been just about the same if we were installing a marine unit. I stated that this was designed in case this system failed and I would have to install a marine unit with minimal modifications and cost.
    Last edited by MarioG; 05-16-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: Reengineering an air conditioning unit to “marine” use. Purists should cover the

Another comparison is the split 12-36k BTU/hr units that are used around the world. http://www.ductlessdepot.net/product...-11-0-207.html

They last in Guam for 5 years....nothing lasts in Guam, trust me!

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Another comparison is the split 12-36k BTU/hr units that are used around the world. http://www.ductlessdepot.net/product...-11-0-207.html

Krush....Mario mentioned them in his original post here...We call them "Mini Splits"....They are nice and work very well....You could put one on the upper (flybridge) deck with not much visibility, but they still put out heat that may not be desirable on the bridge deck with people present...I've seen them on boats too & you also need to hide the copper tubing...Or Not....

Mini Splits need a larger area in the cabin for the air handler to mount....Well larger than what a Marine AH takes with duct....Mini Splits are not ductable....

You guys tell me ???

Steve~

Strangely I'm reminded of a quote about naval aviation:

"A water-cooled aircraft engine makes as much sense as an air-cooled submarine"

Just seemed to fit the discussion here.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post

A friend who was a submariner asked a better question.

"What was I thinking when I volunteered to go in a boat that sinks on purpose"?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post

I had never seen those little split units until I went to Africa. They were in all the hotels in each country that I visited and they worked VERY WELL, even in the Kenya heat! I was impressed and often wondered why they were not used or at least why I had not seen them stateside.
    Byron
    "Sweet Melissa"
    Trident 78' Motoryacht
    www.SweetMelissa.info

Previously Owned Hatteras:
    1969 36C Hull #36C331
    1967 41TC Hull #41TC55
    1972 58YF Hull #58YF324

But yet the P-51 Mustang was Liquid cooled and probably the most Heralded fighter plane in US history....

I like air cooled....Just yet to see a good one for "Yacht" A/C use....

Steve~

Some years ago we were planning A/C for a huge double salon and pilot house on a 110' USN subchaser conversion in San Diego. We were entering charter operations and needed really good, reliable cooling when a dozen or more guests were playing on board. Having a big, unused upper deck we opted for 2 residential split units. All the 'experts' and dockside naysayers said we were crazy and the salt spray would corrode the aluminum tubes in a season.

Driven by cost and performance we installed the units. To cut the story short, the units ran over 4 years (with a little shielding and frequent freshwater washdown) and gave us 3x the best cooling we could buy in 'marine' units, for a fraction of the cost.

Now, this installation won't work for all boats, but it has to be considered as an alternative if you have some extra deck space and can camouflage the big, noisy 'outside' unit. Today, those new European/Asian inverter-drive 'mini-splits' will do the same job silently and consume less than half the power of ANY marine unit.

But yet the P-51 Mustang was Liquid cooled and probably the most Heralded fighter plane in US history....

I like air cooled....Just yet to see a good one for "Yacht" A/C use....

Steve~

Oops...Sorry for the double post guys...My system stalled & I didn't know the first posted....

Yes....I agree that in commercial use...Air cooled residential units work well when placed on a top deck that people are not likely to be near....

But...The air handlers are also large...They (and their ductwork) take up much space inside a Yacht...Plus you don't get individual cabin temp control...Unless it's a Chiller system which is a whole nother price & story....

Steve~