Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: 36 Volt In Place Of 32V?

Now you have me thinking I didn't actually look but I made the assumption that my port bank was being used to crank the port engine. Dumb assumption cause I'm thinking your proubably right. I will have to check that. If your correct that might be a very good option although it could mean re configuring battery boxes. Also I would like to have both alternators charging the house bank so I'm back to one of original questions. If I use an Isolater to allow the cranking batteries alternator to charge the house banks golf cart batteries do I run into the mis match problem or does the use of an isolater solve that?

Most likely the port bank does start the port engine(mine does), but that should not be a problem. Those golf cart batts will start it just fine, and if they didn't, that is why we have the parallel switch. As far as alternators, I doubt you would need both to charge either. It would depend on load and length of time running, but you will probably run the genset some too, so you can charge then as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yes the port bank does start the port engine and also functions as the house bank. I could change that it would be nice to have the deep cycle golf cart batteries for the house bank. Problem is that it would require replacing the battery boxs and a lot of re aranging so it's just not worth it.

I will stick with my original plan of building a seperate bank dedicated to generator starting and combining the two existing banks to increase capacity.

I wish I could find a combiner or intergrator for 32V. I can use an isolator but it will cause a voltage drop I know on 12V systems it's pretty substantial but I would think on 32V it wouldn't be so bad.

I LOVE the Hat mast. The one thing a PO did I hated was removing the original. Yours is even better than the original. I am constantly looking for a way to hang all the extra gear (SAT dish, stabilized; RADAR, and other assorted antennas to our boat but want to keep the origial look. You seem to come pretty close!!!

I just tossed out all my 8 volts batteries in place 0f 3 8d 12volt (1650 cca)
    for each battery bank.

FYI Industrial 8v = 92.5 lbs. ea.
    12v = 134 lbs ea.

P.S. Hint the new items & cableing for each bank needed are:
    1 - 36 " cable pos. to neg. '00'
    1 - 15" cable pos. to neg. '00'
    1 additional Battery box
    Blue seas makes a nice one but it is rather large
    1 Electrical numbering roll
    1 roll of red electrical tape (3m)
    1 roll of black electrical tape
    2 sets of terminals Pos. and Neg.
    6 brass washers for new terminals
    AND MOST IMPORTANT wrap around safety glasses and rubber gloves

Good luck
    Al

What about alternators, chargers and other voltage sensative items?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I just tossed out all my 8 volts batteries in place 0f 3 8d 12volt (1650 cca)
    for each battery bank

1. Wow - whose 12v batts have that much CCA? Surette shows their max cca bat in a 12 V heavy duty marine batt to be an 8D at 1150 cca and it costs 928 bucks and weighs 172 pounds!

2. Why did you replace the 32V system?

I was kinda pissed today, but got over it with a dose of honesty. I was supposed to have 4 new 8 volt EXIDE batteries delivered last Friday. No call, no show. Today I finally got to the bottom of the problem... EXIDE did a quality control test before shipping and found the shelf life expired and the didnt want to ship half dead units. Imagine that !! They said they are building me a brand new set, but wont be here for another week. They said the demand for the 8Vs was so low that they went bad before selling !! One more reason to shit can the 8s. If only I knew then what I know now, I wouldve begun a conversion with the new 8V starters and alternators.... I mite consider 2-12s and an 8 when they start to go. Charging rates concerned me, but they are just 2 volts per cell. Wont they "float" to full charge?? ws

Interstate 8D-MHD 1400 cca 450 RC 36 month warranty 20-3/4 x 11 x 9-5/8 132 lbs

Only $900 from west marine. probably under $200.00
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have several friends who have converted from 32v to 36v. The starters tolerate the increased voltage well as does the wiring and electric heads. In each case it was told that it was possible to adjust the alternator output sufficiently to charge the batteries. Each uses the genset all the time so I don’t know how well the engines alone would keep the charge. The latest conversion used a Dual Pro PS 12/24/36V 15A 3 Bank Waterproof Charger # DPPS153 which apparently worked well with AGM 12v batteries even to the point of identifying a bad battery in the 3 battery bank. I am going to convert my 32v system simply to eliminate about 200 pounds forward not to mention having to wrestle those 8 volt batteries into place. If anyone has any better information it would be appreciated.