Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Lower helm visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Wait, you mean someone is challenging Krush and I for the record for taking the longest to buy a boat?
    I think your record is safe, but wasn't Krushter like 12 years old when he joined here?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I think your record is safe, but wasn't Krushter like 12 years old when he joined here?
    I think it might've been 10. Who knows. I'm still not sure who has the record...but I did end up buying a Hatt.

Back to the rear-view camera thing: Do you have it show on the screen as normal, or do you mirror image it (like on my RV) so the stuff on the right side of the screen is actually the starboard side of the boat.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I think it might've been 10. Who knows. I'm still not sure who has the record...but I did end up buying a Hatt.

Back to the rear-view camera thing: Do you have it show on the screen as normal, or do you mirror image it (like on my RV) so the stuff on the right side of the screen is actually the starboard side of the boat.
    Mirror images are where the mirrors come in. I'm not sure I follow your question beyond that. Whatever you point your camera at is what's going to show up on the screen, but it's the same as what you see when using a backup camera like on a RV.

Most cameras are set to look at the port and starboard corners of the stern for docking purposes vs being rammed by a sailboat, aircraft carrier, PWC, LEO, UFO, or NHO (Non-Hatteras Owner).
    Last edited by Freeebird; 10-10-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

So much love in this group! I will buy a boat, but again, I now have less than three years in the salt mines before I retire, and can unlock my tax deferred pot 'o gold and also have the time to do it right. I have owned several boats before so I have a "record".

No one wants to entertain the question if there are stabilized cameras for this purpose? I may have to fabricate something, at least with a lateral gimble....

As to the orientation of rear view cameras.... yes the "flip". If you were to take a regular camera and point it backwards, what's on port would be on the right side of the screen, and vice versa. As mentioned vehicle cameras flip so that what's on the left side of the screen is on the drivers side etc. Probably want to do that for a stern watch camera too.... so you don't have to do the flip in your mind and hurt your brains.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-10-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Is this your way of telling us we have about three more years of this?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Is this your way of telling us we have about three more years of this?
    That sounds like a fair summation.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    So much love in this group! I will buy a boat, but again, I now have less than three years in the salt mines before I retire, and can unlock my tax deferred pot 'o gold and also have the time to do it right. I have owned several boats before so I have a "record".

No one wants to entertain the question if there are stabilized cameras for this purpose? I may have to fabricate something, at least with a lateral gimble....

As to the orientation of rear view cameras.... yes the "flip". If you were to take a regular camera and point it backwards, what's on port would be on the right side of the screen, and vice versa. As mentioned vehicle cameras flip so that what's on the left side of the screen is on the drivers side etc. Probably want to do that for a stern watch camera too.... so you don't have to do the flip in your mind and hurt your brains.
    I installed a "rear view" camera, but really only use it for docking. I have about a 15-20 ft view aft of my 58 LRC and can see the entire swim platform port-starboard... about 18 feet.

Here's what I went with … only the single camera... but you can get the system with up to four cameras...

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-rvs-4cam.html
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

For perspective.... the RED LINE on the screen is about 3 feet behind the swim platform... the GREEN LINE on other side of the dock is about 12 feet...

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    For perspective.... the RED LINE on the screen is about 3 feet behind the swim platform... the GREEN LINE on other side of the dock is about 12 feet...

Attachment 35211

Attachment 35212
    Very nice
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Not for the first time, I agree with RAC. Radar is nice I suppose, but there's no substitute for being aware, as best you can, of what's around you.

Even at 25 knots, I've had boats climb up my tailpipes pretty quickly. A few anxious moments, trying to figure out which side they wanted to pass on, after they didn't answer the VHF. "one whistle or two, captain?"