Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Start up dormant engine procedure

What is the recommended procedure to star up a pair on DD 8V71TI that had not been run for 6 months ?. My brother is planning to buy a boat that has 2 8V71Ti that the owner did not pickle or run on about 6 months. Do we have to turn the engine first by hand. Any input in this matter will be greatly appreciated.is

Re: Start up dormant engine procedure

Quote Originally Posted by piripucha View Post
    What is the recommended procedure to star up a pair on DD 8V71TI that had not been run for 6 months ?. My brother is planning to buy a boat that has 2 8V71Ti that the owner did not pickle or run on about 6 months. Do we have to turn the engine first by hand. Any input in this matter will be greatly appreciated.is
    Hold the shut down button in while simultaneously pressing the start button for 5 seconds. This will allow some oil pressure build up. After 5 seconds release the shut down button. And WaLa, they will start. Or they should.

Quote Originally Posted by mykim View Post
    Hold the shut down button in while simultaneously pressing the start button for 5 seconds. This will allow some oil pressure build up. After 5 seconds release the shut down button. And WaLa, they will start. Or they should.
    And that's from the Hatt manual and recommended for motors that have not been run for as little as three weeks. The reason is to scavenge unburned fuel from the cylinders. This also reduces the accompanying smoke.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

It will also let you know if there is a hydrolock without breaking stuff. I'd also keep a board handy to put over the intake in case a rack is hung up.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

If you're really worried, drain the oil and refill minus two gallons. Take off the rocker covers and pour the remaining 2 gallons over the valvetrain. That is recommended for return to service after long-term storage.

Make sure the battery banks are fully charged also.

related question. My DDEC 8V92TA don't have a shutdown button? They shut down with the key. Can a similar procedure be used to start cold engines with DDEC? How would it be done?
    Regards,

Dr. T

I am not familiar with DDEC engines, but if they have a stop solenoide you will need another person to be pulling on them while you start the engine with the key. I may be shooting here from the hip, so please excuse me if this sounds dum.

Quote Originally Posted by piripucha View Post
    I am not familiar with DDEC engines, but if they have a stop solenoide you will need another person to be pulling on them while you start the engine with the key. I may be shooting here from the hip, so please excuse me if this sounds dum.
    DDEC means computer control. The computer does everything, including shut down the engine....there is no "shut down solenoid".
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Smile Re: Start up dormant engine procedure

Thanks, now give me a moment to take my foot out of my mouth !: