Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 186 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 166 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

I finally got all of the Chris Craft senders installed on both Cummins engines. It was a bit of a challenge finding all of the ports then getting all of the various adapters worked out, but they're in. There's no way to test them just yet, but it all looks good. The turbocator boost port is installed, too. I also have the 4" stainless exhaust risers tacked together, and my glass order finally showed up. Also, my Boatamalan painter's schedule opened up a bit, so the v-berth head fiberglass and paint work has been moving along and is looking freakin' awesome. Unfortunately, the time has come for me to jump on a plane and fly to the far side of the planet for my FIL's funeral. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am the boat won't be splashing this year...

1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: Installing Chris Craft Senders on Cummins Engines

Cheers,
    Q

While I'm away for my FIL's funeral stuff, I figured I'd catch the blog up on a few things. I've got a raging case of jet lag, so don't be surprised if it reads like gibberish.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: Trim Tabs & Gauges

Cheers,
    Q

The heat of summer has made the deck level in the tent intolerable once again. So I've been getting things done in the engine room, where a couple tons worth of Cummins engines keep the space relatively cool. I got all of the 4" stainless mandrel bent tubing cut and tacked together, so the dry section of the exhaust risers are ready for welding. My Harbor Freight 4x6 metalcutting bandsaw is cutting much truer since I ignored the instruction manual that came with the machine and followed a yahoo user group How-To that's much more detailed. Now, I'm just waiting for another argon regulator and diffuser for purging to arrive, then I'll finish welding them. Oh, and I also need to find somebody with a CNC machine that can cut 12ga 316 stainless into a showerhead radial spray nozzle for the exhaust.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: New Exhaust Risers II

Cheers,
    Q

So the showerhead goes in that last section between the dry stack and the wet muffler?

Also, what do you plan to use to wrap the dry stack portion? Are you going to get blankets made up, or are you going to use that fiberglass tape like we hot rodders use?

For the shower head you might consider water jet or laser cutting. Likely to be less expensive and easier to find. Tolerances .003-.005"
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Thanks, Greg! I've been leaning toward waterjet, but it looks like heat distortion from laser wouldn't be bad with the thin material I need.

Jim, the showerhead will be on the end of the riser that points toward the muffler. I will probably end up cutting some of the dry section off to shorten it up as much as possible. But first I need to get the showerhead parts (nozzle plates) ordered.

For insulation, I'm using Inferno tape for at least the first layer. It's similar to the old fiberglass tape, but it's a silica fiber that's good for 2000°F continuous. Depending on how that works out, I may also put a fiberglass layer over that with high temp epoxy and a hard shell.

But first, I had to get the starboard side cut and tacked. It was more challenging than the port side but turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: New Exhaust Risers III

Cheers,

Q

New formed hoses, very flexible silicon hose, and some constant torque hose clamps arrived, so I finished up the cooling systems on my Cummins engines. I also tested the coolant to make sure it's up to spec. Cummins 6CTA engines have sleeved blocks, so it's crucial to have the coolant additives right -- not too high or too low -- or crevice corrosion can cause all sorts of expensive problems.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: New Coolant Hoses, Clamps, and Coolant Test

Cheers,
    Q

Nice work. I like the AWAB clamps, because the worm gear doesn't go all the way through the band; the bands don't have slots in them. Fawcett's have the entire range of sizes.

AWAB clamps are good but, unfortunately, Fawcett's is in MD and, therefore, all sales are subject to the confiscatory MD sales tax, so...

Yeah. Paying sales tax is for the poor and unwashed masses right billery.

Why is it such a problem to pay sales tax on an item you buy and use?

Is it the act of not paying that gives people a rush or is it really the money? It's such a small percentage that shouldn't make a difference.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.