Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: In search of M3558 Snap-on Fuel injector timing tool

Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Thanks and Done! Not sure why my 3 saved searches on ebay didn't alert me to this being posted. Was more than I would have liked to pay but oh well... Hope it's worth it! lol.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

They show up on eBay pretty often.. but I'm with the other commenter... the little flag tool works just as well or better. It's a simple go/no go that fits into a small hole in the surface of the head and spin it to just clear the top of the injector. The real hard thing is to determine when the injector is at the absolute bottom of it's travel. You'll see when you bar the engine over, there are NO indexing marks and you're eyeballing the injector plunger as it goes down... catching it at absolute bottom is the key. For me, the little flag too is easier to use.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 11-11-2019 at 07:09 PM.

The injectors are set when in their relaxed or closed positions, with exhaust valves fully open.The exhaust valves are set in their relaxed or closed positions, with injectors fully open.It is simple to hand crank to these positions as the injector and exhaust lobes on the cam are practically 180 degrees from each other... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJkGg7Mqrs4
    Top Hatt ‘78 43’ DCFB #471 6-71Ns Oakley CA

I have two of these, one new and one slightly used. If interested pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    They show up on eBay pretty often.. but I'm with the other commenter... the little flag tool works just as well or better. It's a simple go/no go that fits into a small hole in the surface of the head and spin it to just clear the top of the injector. The real hard thing is to determine when the injector is at the absolute bottom of it's travel. You'll see when you bar the engine over, there are NO indexing marks and you're eyeballing the injector plunger as it goes down... catching it at absolute bottom is the key. For me, the little flag too is easier to use.
    The dial indicator on the Snap-On is a sure way to make sure of the cam position.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Thanks for the link, but I purchased the one posted earlier in this thread.

Just finished the tuneup procedure and I will say without a doubt this tool was worth it's weight in gold and well worth the $400 I paid for it. It made setting the injector heights a breeze and without a doubt FAR more accurate and consistent results than the pin tool or any other method.

Anybody thinking of tackling a tuneup themselves I HIGHLY recommend springing for this tool (and the other specialty wrenches/tools...etc). You are saving thousands by doing it yourself, may as well have the best equipment to do it.

After tackling this I feel VERY comfortable now pulling/replacing injectors and repairing anything else involved in the tuneup procedure.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Rent it out.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    You are saving thousands by doing it yourself, may as well have the best equipment to do it.
    This is how I filled a shop with tools......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay