Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Gally Maid head problem

from what i recall, the seacocks for the forward heads are under the genny room. The labels are on edge of the floor, there are three intakes in there, two for the heads, one for the genny.

it's probably just going to be a temporary fix though, they were working fine with the right amount of water in bowl, eventually you're going to have to open that pump :-)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

when i open the pump what is the procedure? do i close the valves or just open it up and hold my nose?

spincycle

yeah, something like that :-( although after diapers... head maintenance is no big deal!

try to get as much as the water out of the bowl first, maybe with a shop vac. close the seacock, unbolt the front of the pump (the side with the large hose) and pull the housing. you probalby have to remove the hose from the pump first...

I'm sure Angela can chime in, she's done that before.... i helped her with some muscle power to get the hose off but dont' remember if there was any other thing to do first.

if it's not completly plugged in, try flushing a lot of water before to ensure the lines are full of water.. not something else!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    when i open the pump what is the procedure? do i close the valves or just open it up and hold my nose?

spincycle

If you're just opening the discharge side, you don't even have to close the valve. Pour some OdorLos in the head, flush it twice and take the pump apart. Just loosen the discharge hose and let anything in the hose run into a bucket. Then remove the 6 small bolts from the big end of the big cone and pull it off. You'll see the macerator T sticking out of the end of the rubber stator and that's where stuff usually gets wrapped. Look down in between the spiril rotor and the rubber stator to see if that's clear.

If you have to remove the stator, you have to pull the rotor out first, since the stator won't fit over the macerator T. To remove the rotor, you have to ht the macerator T on the top of the T with a hammer (Yeah... just hit it) and this compresses the special threads of the rotor and motor drive and breaks loose any stuff in those threads so that you can unscrew the rotor. Hopefully you won't have to take the intake side apart to hold the shaft while you unscrew the rotor. They usually unscrew OK after being whacked once.
    This is the procedure for replacing the rubber stator too. The T is supposed to stay screwed onto the rotor permanently. It's a left hand thread and it has been peened after it was screwed on.

Doug Shuman

I took pics of part of the process but got sidetracked by my helper Crown. Here you go, not the greatest but may give you an idea.

Last edited by thoward; 03-03-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

does not look like fun, but I will have to do this, for the same head is still not giving me the old, motor sound and a good flush. I did get the holding tank pumped out but no change in that particular head. it still bubbles and everything.

Spincycle

Quote Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
    does not look like fun, but I will have to do this, for the same head is still not giving me the old, motor sound and a good flush. I did get the holding tank pumped out but no change in that particular head. it still bubbles and everything.

Spincycle
    Why don't you get a quote from Raz Marine in Lauderdale on an exchange or to rebuild yours?

Brian

When I got my boat, two of the heads were acting up, and the pumps were old anyway.
    I bought factory rebuilds, they weren't very expensive with core exchange, and just changed them out. They work perfectly.
    Best of all, my local chandelry (San Diego Marine Exchange, they're excellent by the way) had them on the shelf...in 32V no less!
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    Why don't you get a quote from Raz Marine in Lauderdale on an exchange or to rebuild yours?

Brian
    Or.....you could just tear it out and put a nice new Raritan Atlantes in.

I'm not saying that the GM stuff is inferior. It's well built, heavy equipment that was made to last. In fact, it's some of the only equipment that is worth rebuilding. My point is just that if you might be thinking of updating soon, now would be a good time to try out one of the Atlantes toilets. If you like it, then you do the other heads at a later date. Just a thought.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI