Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Boat moving in spring, hire captain to train me or for the whole trip?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    No wood. Just foam to have something to form the glass to.
    Confirm also.

This is a MAJOR point with Hatteras: they never used wood. If your surveyor does not know this, then consider replacing him.

DAN

Thank you everyone!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

[QUOTE=spartonboat1;404795]I earlier said that : [ QUOTE ]
    ========================
    I think I know "of" that boat somewhat.

Depending on how late in the Spring you run, you need people with binoculars, to keep a lookout. I have three sets of glasses and they should be good ones. As you run, off of some ports, there are fishing boats to avoid. Also, running the Straits of Mackinaw will require watching for ferry boats, plus here is a ferry that runs between Bois Blanc Isle and Cheboygan. Finally, there are the Lakers and Salties, who will actually be as fast or faster than you, although they look slow, they are not.

My apologies, since I am not intimately familiar with that boat, but I do not believe it has a true "radar".
    =========================

My further research finds that this boat has a "Thermal Imaging" system. I tried to post am image of a FLIR/Raymarine sytem, but No Joy;, about $3k price. Link of an example
    [ https://www.boatid.com/flir/m232-sta...iABEgJxlfD_BwE ]

I watched some Youtube videos about these system and I was impressed.
    Although I said "Fog can be an issue though" these systems are capable of "seeing" through fog to some degree. How much I cannot say, but better than I thought.

So a Radar set would be good for 3-10 miles downrange, while the thermal imager seems very good for close in and up to a mile or so. I wish I had one!

That's my update. I still stand by "Plan, plan, plan."
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 12-23-2021 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typos
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I talked (well texted) the previous owner. He verified it does have a newer radar system. It has a blue tooth connection to hook to a phone or tablet app. Instructions are on the boat. He didn't mention a FLIR system however.

You say you think it has FLIR for some reason?

I am a bit in the dark on this as we were only at the boat one weekend a couple times probably for maybe an hour or two total. A lot to absorb. Due to the distance and work schedule we haven't been back but are hoping to get up there in early January with a little luck and do a thorough investigation and take tons of pictures and dig through everything we can!

On the FLIR idea I found a cheaper / not as good system from I believe Sionyx that would be sub par to the true high end FLIR but might be something worth considering for people doin some level of twilight early morning or late evening travels. $600 I believe, kind of more like a monocular, but hey for that price might be worth investigating.

Wonder what happened to all those Russian night vision goggles from the 90’s? I remember that ITT had a display at the boat shows back then and had a monocular and binoculars that were way better than the Russian surplus stuff but were 3k. No doubt some of our stuff we left a BAF is going to start showing up on Craigs and Marketplace
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    I talked (well texted) the previous owner. He verified it does have a newer radar system. It has a blue tooth connection to hook to a phone or tablet app. Instructions are on the boat. He didn't mention a FLIR system however.

You say you think it has FLIR for some reason?
    Note1: I was basing my comments on the photos posted to Yachtworld. I thought I observed a FLIR or similar system. That is the basis for my comments. As regards a radar, I was not able to observe one in that set of photos.

Note2: I updated my typo of "thermo" to "thermal"; unsure why was incorrect.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 12-24-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    Note1: I was basing my comments on the photos posted to Yachtworld. I thought I observed a FLIR or similar system. That is the basis for my comments. As regards a radar, I was not able to observe one in that set of photos.

Note2: I updated my typo of "thermo" to "thermal"; unsure why was incorrect.
    Well I hope you are right..... I didn't know it had radar, maybe it is a FLIR I don't know.
    He, (the previous owner) said it has bluetooth connectivity and hooks to either a cell phone or a tablet.

I will know more when I get up there hopefully in the next week or so.

Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Well I hope you are right..... I didn't know it had radar, maybe it is a FLIR I don't know.
    He, (the previous owner) said it has bluetooth connectivity and hooks to either a cell phone or a tablet.

I will know more when I get up there hopefully in the next week or so.

Thank you for your help!
    Please take some bow-on photos. Since it is no doubt on the hard, go aboard and walk up to the bow and take some shots from there, esp. of the flybridge area. Post them here and the sharp eyes on the Forum will be able to help identify the nature of the radar and/or thermal imaging systems.

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    Please take some bow-on photos. Since it is no doubt on the hard, go aboard and walk up to the bow and take some shots from there, esp. of the flybridge area. Post them here and the sharp eyes on the Forum will be able to help identify the nature of the radar and/or thermal imaging systems.
    Will do!
    Thank you

Read your survey. It will list all electronics.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI