Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: WTH is going on at oceanbreeze?

Yea absolutely. Beyond the great service, I really believe in supporting small businesses instead of an evil empire like dometic which is gobbling up everything they can retracting our options. That’s also why I prefer ordering from places like Defender, Fisheries or Jamestown instead of West Pro.

It s a shame Ocean Breeze was sold
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Yea absolutely. Beyond the great service, I really believe in supporting small businesses instead of an evil empire like dometic which is gobbling up everything they can retracting our options. That’s also why I prefer ordering from places like Defender, Fisheries or Jamestown instead of West Pro.

It s a shame Ocean Breeze was sold
    it absolutely is a shame but it looks like my wife's cooler head will prevail and we're ordering new split units from them today, hopefully we'll catch the tail end of the previous owners work ethic and find peace in their reliability and quality.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

I hope so. I'm going to find out if Flagship still make split systems- looks like they do. My original Cruisair ones can't last forever, although one if 51 years old at this point.

Contacted OceanBreeze for an updated quote to replace broken 7K BTU R22 condenser. Received reply overnight in perfect English. Factory time is a few weeks.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I know this is going to take some getting use to but my next a/c replace will be with air cooled mini splits as I have come up with a way to hide the outside units so no one will know the difference

Okay, I'll bite. What's the plan?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

UPDATE: LMAO.......I got tired of being lied to and mislead so my other half took lead on this project and it seems Oceanbreeze is determined to ruin their reputation through me. Now that the boat is ready for them to install the new 24k/16k/12k/9k split units we were quoted and paid a 60% deposit on, Anita was told this "when we opened up your compressors we found they actually put a different size in there so the 16k/12k would be too much for your vessel so we revised the quote for (3) 9k." Are these people serious? This call was taken at 430 yesterday afternoon and I was given no opportunity to contact them before they closed (probably better) but we will be walking through their doors Monday, rest assured.

it just never stops with this company, we have put the completion of the AC install on hold after having a conversation with the GM Tom whom stated "our installer went rogue, we're trying to get an understanding of why". The installer, Geronimo, claims that our SMX II controls were inoperable and the wiring to the new controls needed replaced due to age so he took it upon his own to start running new wires all throughout the boat, then the idiot running their books sends us an updated installation invoice that DOUBLED the quoted amount due to his "rogue performance". I am completely torn how to deal with this, I KNOW WITHOUT QUESTION that our controls were 100% operational and never once exhibited any signs of failure. The new controls are $400/each so not a huge expense but adding $4k in labor for unnecessary wiring is out of control!!!!

Call up microair and ask their tech guys for some help. I think the different generations of controls use different wire order in the plugs. HOWEVER, you may be able to change the plugs at the end and not run new wire.

https://www.micro-air.com/
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

This sometimes happens in business, it happens at my office occasionally. Every so often a customer has a bad experience at the beginning, an employee tells them the wrong thing, something takes longer, or the price we quoted isn't possible because of facts we didn't know at the beginning. Then they start flyspecking everything, which just makes everybody nervous and produces more screwups, which in turn produces more flyspecking from the customer.

It's a toxic relationship you have with this company. You're looking to critique them if their install estimate changes by $1.00, which isn't how marine estimates work, it's not a firm bid like in construction. It's almost always just an estimate that's subject to change. The company is trying to muddle across a bridge that's already been burnt, and that's not working out, as you'd expect. Sometimes all the mistakes your employees make in a week land on the same customer. It sucks when that happens, and it's embarrassing, but it does happen and it's not intentional. It doesn't mean they make bad products, or they can't do the job. Just means humans doing human stuff ruined the relationship.

Everybody should just call it a day and you should go with another company at this point. This has reached the point where no matter what they do, you're not going to be satisfied.

FYI I'm not defending them, just as a business owner I recognize this cycle. In my own business when it starts getting here, I just apologize, offer them their money back, and say exactly what I just said to you. Half the time they're like, yeah I see your point I'll chill out, the other half the time they take their money and leave, and I'm happy with that. Life's too short to try and make relationships work when they don't.