Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hydrofluorocarbons and a True Friend

The EPA announced today major new restrictions on refrigerants. Not just any friend would allow you to pop the seal on a brand new jug of R22. I think I’m gonna make some room in one of my gun safes for this stuff right after I top off my two OEM ‘83 units.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Hydrofluorocarbons and a True Friend

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    The EPA announced today major new restrictions on refrigerants. Not just any friend would allow you to pop the seal on a brand new jug of R22. I think I’m gonna make some room in one of my gun safes for this stuff right after I top off my two OEM ‘83 units.
    AFAIK (as in a few months ago) you can still get the stuff on eBay to your front door in 3 days no questions asked.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    AFAIK (as in a few months ago) you can still get the stuff on eBay to your front door in 3 days no questions asked.
    This one is no charge.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Years ago I had a brand new can sitting in my shop. I went to use it and it was empty. Apparently with temp changes and humidity the can sweat and rusted on the bottom where it sits on the cardboard. The cans are very thin gauge metal. And if you have any with rust on the bottom don’t use ospho on them. I had a can of 12 that started leaking after I treated the rust with it. I’ve taken my stockpile and removed them from the box sprayed with a crc product like cosmoline and wrapped them with heavy plastic. I think the eBay stuff is a r22 substitute not the real stuff.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I have friends in the HVAC field and they all agree current drop in replacement is as good or better than the sacred R-22. Running it now in my salon and forward berth units that had compressors replaced. Ice cold air. Worth looking at since R-22 is hard to come by and super expensive.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I have friends in the HVAC field and they all agree current drop in replacement is as good or better than the sacred R-22.
    As they come up on the end of their useful life and need expensive repairs they will indeed be replaced with 21st century technology. But for now they are running just fine and a little vitamin 22 once in a while is a no brainer.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    As they come up on the end of their useful life and need expensive repairs they will indeed be replaced with 21st century technology. But for now they are running just fine and a little vitamin 22 once in a while is a no brainer.
    I'll keep mine original forever if I can along with the Tappan refrigerator that I solved the frosting problem on. The old stuff is so much more reliable.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP