Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Prop shaft strut replacement?

I have a 1985 Convertable II that needs the struts replaced or repaired due to electrolysis damage. Besides buying new from Sam's, seeing if anyone has recommendations in sourcing the parts.Thanks

Re: Prop shaft strut replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by kadivergreg View Post
    I have a 1985 Convertable II that needs the struts replaced or repaired due to electrolysis damage. Besides buying new from Sam's, seeing if anyone has recommendations in sourcing the parts.Thanks
    What part of California are you located? Northern here.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I happen to have a pair of struts for 3" shafts that were in a package drive train deal. They didn't come off of a Hatteras, so no idea if they'll fit your application, but I would surely rather them be helpful to someone than to get robbed at the scrap yard.Joshua1985 60C #379SCYLLAGalveston, Tx

Your best outcome by far is to get some OEM struts, SAM's will have the correct info of what you need. Having custom struts made by a machine shop is going to be a big PIA, and probably more expensive.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I agree. Sam's may or may not have them in stock, but they will know what they are, and can send you to Buck or whoever made the original ones. They will fit the first time out if you do it that way.

There is a fellow Hatt owner, Steve Drummond, who builds struts/shafts/etc. I just reached out to him to advise of your post. I believe he's a member here so either he will respond or I'll forward his contact info. If you happen to be on FB, here is his page with some pretty awesome work

https://www.facebook.com/Struts-rudd...6712782261715/
    Last edited by ageless; 12-05-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    There is a fellow Hatt owner, Steve Drummond, who builds struts/shafts/etc. I just reached out to him to advise of your post. I believe he's a member here so either he will respond or I'll forward his contact info. If you happen to be on FB, here is his page with some pretty awesome work

https://www.facebook.com/Struts-rudd...6712782261715/
    X2 on Steve Drummond, stand up guy who has been in that business and ONLY that business for 20+ years!
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

If Sam's has them here, I'd say that's your best bet. I've bought a few from Deep Blue Yacht Supply over the years as well.

I didn't know better and had struts make at a reputable prop shop in FT. Lauderdale several years ago. wish I knew about Sams. the bore on the port strut was not done properly and 2" of the cutlass bearing had to be cut off and the diameter milled down so it would fit. didn't know this until the struts were mounted to boat. they screwed up my new prop order as well. the hub portion was 21/2" too short making the front of the prop hub about 4" ftom the back of the strut. they rebored the props and made spacers to take up the slack.