Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Something is just itching to break.

Haul out- Check. Serviced bottom, props, and some cutlass bearings.
    Mechanic- Check. Serviced 2 leaking turbo housings, several service items, verified temps, and getting over required full RPM's.
    Electric- Check. Replaces starboard side 8D's after replacing port last year with AGM's. Had to go sealed lead acid on starboard since no one has AGM's due to rona shutdowns. At least I can compare them over time.

So now all seems to be perfect. But Now we have a trip down south for a week. You just know something is hanging on by a thread! As long as I have no diesel leaks and the AC keeps running for the wife we can deal with the rest. Fingers crossed.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Something is just itching to break.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Mechanic- Check. Serviced 2 leaking turbo housings, several service items, verified temps, and getting over required full RPM's.
    Electric- Check. Replaces starboard side 8D's after replacing port last year with AGM's. Had to go sealed lead acid on starboard since no one has AGM's due to rona shutdowns. At least I can compare them over time.

So now all seems to be perfect. But Now we have a trip down south for a week. You just know something is hanging on by a thread! As long as I have no diesel leaks and the AC keeps running for the wife we can deal with the rest. Fingers crossed.

Good luck and fair seas, hope ya'll have a great time, shake the bugs loose
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post

I remember sitting in Fort Lauderdale at the helm of my sailboat the night before leaving for the Chesapeake, outside, alone. A friend had stopped by to say good bye and share a cold one.

I said to him: "You know everything on this boat is working right now?" I saw the look in his eyes, and before he could even say the words the wind instruments in front of me went dark. They didn't come back until a week after the trip was over, and after that never had another issue.

Nowadays I don't even dare THINK the words. Good luck.

(As an aside.... when I sold it EVERYTHING worked during the survey... Surveyor was amazed.)
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

My son and I were in my 34 running on plane for a bit a few years back and since bottom was cleaned that day it was making full speed and everything was running perfect. I commented to him that the boat is really running great. Instantly (no exaggeration) port engine RPM's dropped. It was just a booger in the fuel tank pickup and we were easily underway after switching to the other tank. But I know it happened because I jinxed it!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

My story may not be as dramatic as some. I am to 19 6546 foot Chris-Craft constellation. It was considered a 10 out of 10 boats. Absolutely everything worked because I maintained it that way. I sold it just after I bought my 53 Hatteras. The day we signed the papers in the galley with the new Owner the refrigerator stopped working. I had to replace it within a few days. As I’ve always said it’s always something.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Are you using the same charger for the lead-acid and AGM banks? Because I think if you do that, you have to set it for the AGM charging curve, which doesn't top out at quite the level the lead-acid one does?

Well it is certainly still 2020! On NHC there was a yellow X destined to head NE to the Atlantic giving us great weather being on the west side for our trip. Wake up this morning and it's a friggin orange X heading into the Gulf. Next report its a red X! Where can I get a job and have no idea what's going on and still be an expurt?

Heading to Bradenton and then Sarasota for Saturday and Sunday. Monday morning decisions will need to be made.

2020 sucks.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP