Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 46 Convertible refit begins

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Until I saw this post, I was tempted to make a joke about "that's not a refit...THIS is a refit" (pronounced in Mick Dundee fashion...knife scene in NYC, with a link to my Roamer post.It's been my experience that with enough effort, you can get good running Cummins Diamonds and gears in that price range, but I don't know if 450~480hp is enough to push the Hatt 46. With the skill set you and your mate bring to the game, I think you'll be able to pull it off for that overall budget.As to whether or not you can do it in 2~3 years...I hope you do, and I'll be watching every update! But if you splash before me, I'll be very impressed! lol
    Lol I know that scene in the movie very well. Yes I think we will need about 600 hp. We are very much filled with hope and optimism at the moment so I also hope that doesn’t change. Thanks for showing interest. M

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Until I saw this post, I was tempted to make a joke about "that's not a refit...THIS is a refit" (pronounced in Mick Dundee fashion...knife scene in NYC, with a link to my Roamer post.It's been my experience that with enough effort, you can get good running Cummins Diamonds and gears in that price range, but I don't know if 450~480hp is enough to push the Hatt 46. With the skill set you and your mate bring to the game, I think you'll be able to pull it off for that overall budget.As to whether or not you can do it in 2~3 years...I hope you do, and I'll be watching every update! But if you splash before me, I'll be very impressed! lol
    I just checked out your entire blog and yes you defiantly have the bigger knife. Fantastic project and really well done. Really looking forward to seeing your progress. Regards Michael

You ought to see it in person. What he's done is amazing. I have seen several refits done in professional yards which don't get close to what he's done working alone, teaching himself along the way.

Thanks Mick for keeping us in the "loop" on your refit. We all look forward to watching the restoration
    of one of our favorite boats. Please post progress report with lots of pictures...

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Thanks Mick for keeping us in the "loop" on your refit. We all look forward to watching the restorationof one of our favorite boats. Please post progress report with lots of pictures...Walt
    Thanks Walt, we will defiantly post photos as we get some progress. We are only working on the boat on the weekends so progress is slow. Just the strip out is quite a big job but I must say very satisfying to do. Thanks for your interest in our project. Michael

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You ought to see it in person. What he's done is amazing. I have seen several refits done in professional yards which don't get close to what he's done working alone, teaching himself along the way.
    Hi Jim, we intend to do a trip to the us to go boat spotting so we just might do that. Next year sometime I would say. Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Dont do anything until you have a plan. It's not the best idea to start without a complete plan.Engines depend on what you want in performance and the hull will need mods to go to higher HP engines.
    Hi Scott,What type of mods need to be carried out on the hull. We are trying to spec the drive line to achieve 30 knots ?

Hi Mick,

I have been following all your emails and the replies from other owners. You must show photos as forum members pour over them.

Did you mean myself, scottinsydney, regarding drivetrain mods and achieving 30 knots? If so then I need to tell you that I am a motor yacht kind of guy and use a speedboat for the kids' thrills and spills.

The answer to your question relates to horsepower, shaft size and propping. The Convertible members could do the calcs for you. There may be a maximum speed the hull is able to achieve too without becoming unstable/tailwalking

30 knots on Sydney Harbour?...oh yes please!
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

I don't know what sort of performance Hatteras got from the 46 convertibles; I know that there was a high-performance version with 8-92s in her, I think, and those boats were faster. Those kinds of speeds (thirty knots plus) are easily achieved with the 45 Series 2 convertibles, which have a different hull form and I think are a bit lighter. I don't know if 600hp x2 will get you to thirty knots. I don't know what Series 60s weigh. Part of the advantage of the Cummins M11s is that they are lighter engines, esp for the power they deliver, but they are also much more money.

My uneducated and imprecise guess is that you could get to a 25 knot cruise without too much difficulty. 30kt cruise might be quite a bit harder. You would be limited by shaft size, how much room there is under the boat for the wheels, hull form, all the underwater hardware. On the plus side, some of the best driveline manufacturers (Veem, Austral) are right in your backyard, so to speak, so you will have access to all the best technology, probably less expensively than we get it up here. Regardless, it's going to be a very interesting project.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I don't know what sort of performance Hatteras got from the 46 convertibles; I know that there was a high-performance version with 8-92s in her, I think, and those boats were faster. Those kinds of speeds (thirty knots plus) are easily achieved with the 45 Series 2 convertibles, which have a different hull form and I think are a bit lighter. I don't know if 600hp x2 will get you to thirty knots. I don't know what Series 60s weigh. Part of the advantage of the Cummins M11s is that they are lighter engines, esp for the power they deliver, but they are also much more money.

My uneducated and imprecise guess is that you could get to a 25 knot cruise without too much difficulty. 30kt cruise might be quite a bit harder. You would be limited by shaft size, how much room there is under the boat for the wheels, hull form, all the underwater hardware. On the plus side, some of the best driveline manufacturers (Veem, Austral) are right in your backyard, so to speak, so you will have access to all the best technology, probably less expensively than we get it up here. Regardless, it's going to be a very interesting project.
    I have a 45 Series 2 convertibles with Cummins QSM11 660hp 2" shaft that I purchased in New Orleans area 4 years ago. At sea trial in Lake Pontchartrain, we reached 30 knot@2,350 rpm. After taking the boat to Rep. of Panama, I found it over-propped and could only get 26 knot@2,200 rpm (for some reason it happens with many boats when they are moved to Rep. of Panama, maybe due to high humidity, I do not know).
    I have now gone from 28x32 prop to 28x30 and to 28x28 prop and get 26 knot@2,350rpm and ithe engines are also right on the fuel curve, I have also added a dinghy.