Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: How much raw water?

Thanks.... That's less than a man up to his knees in water with a 5 gallon bucket.

And a lot less than some of the bilge pumps, although those numbers are always subject to "adjustment".....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Thanks.... That's less than a man up to his knees in water with a 5 gallon bucket.

And a lot less than some of the bilge pumps, although those numbers are always subject to "adjustment".....
    That is per minute, not per hour...

This document has a good chart of flood rates.

http://www.whsyc.org/Flooding/Floodi...olBrochure.pdf

My plan (assuming we are not already in the life raft) is to reduce the flooding and I think from the outside will be easier than from the inside. Most of the hull is simply not easily reachable from the inside.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    This document has a good chart of flood rates.http://www.whsyc.org/Flooding/Floodi...olBrochure.pdfMy plan (assuming we are not already in the life raft) is to reduce the flooding and I think from the outside will be easier than from the inside. Most of the hull is simply not easily reachable from the inside.
    You ever tried that? Try clearing a clogged intake in the water before you get too ambitious. I wish you luck, but I think you’re whistling Dixie (assuming you can still whistle Dixie).
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Can anyone estimate how much raw cooling water an 8V71 and/or 8V91 uses? Was talking to someone who has the emergency setup where they can switch from outside water to pumping from the bilge..... Was wondering how many GPH we are talking. Yes, I realize RPM makes a difference, so lets say 1500-ish.... Thanks.
    One has to ask why would one want, or have that much water in the Bilge to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed338 View Post
    One has to ask why would one want, or have that much water in the Bilge to begin with?
    One wouldn't want. But many a mariner did have. Some floated out, some sank.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    This document has a good chart of flood rates.

http://www.whsyc.org/Flooding/Floodi...olBrochure.pdf

My plan (assuming we are not already in the life raft) is to reduce the flooding and I think from the outside will be easier than from the inside. Most of the hull is simply not easily reachable from the inside.
    That's funny.
    Having trained for fire and flooding, This is not worth opening the PDF. Sorry I did.

I agree with RAC and Ralph. I think the "using engine as an emergency pump" idea is good in theory. Except that's not where we live.

The mechanical emergency pump idea, driven off the engine, is a good one. If mounted low enough in the ER it should self-prime if there's water in the bilge. Ralph, is the pump the kind where the means to turn it on is also mechanical, like right on the pump?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I agree with RAC and Ralph. I think the "using engine as an emergency pump" idea is good in theory. Except that's not where we live.

The mechanical emergency pump idea, driven off the engine, is a good one. If mounted low enough in the ER it should self-prime if there's water in the bilge. Ralph, is the pump the kind where the means to turn it on is also mechanical, like right on the pump?
    That s why I used to have on one of my 8V71. Mechanical clutch. Not sure what the rate was. It was a standard rubber impeller though which means it is a maintenance item as it will take a set. There are electric clutches that can be activated remotely
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That s why I used to have on one of my 8V71. Mechanical clutch. Not sure what the rate was. It was a standard rubber impeller though which means it is a maintenance item as it will take a set. There are electric clutches that can be activated remotely
    That's what I have on my starboard 12v71. The pump is belt driven, uses the same impeller as the main engine (less spares on board) and is activated by lifting a lever. If there is water to pump the suction on the diaphram keeps it engaged until there is no more suction so the impeller doesn't run dry, it has about 20' of 2" hose on it so you can reach anywhere in the engine or pump room.
    I've never used it in anger (terror lol) but it empties a bucket in seconds at idle.
    Discharge is through a dedicated above the waterline thru hull.
    A remote switch is a good idea.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331