Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shower sump pump has lost power

The aft shower/tub sump pump stopped working, it is not powered. There is power at the dc panel for the circuit, but no power to the pump or the manual on switch in the head. Both of the other shower sumps are working fine. Recently replaced both the pump and the float switch in the sump and they have been working fine until now?!?...

Re: Shower sump pump has lost power

If you have an '80s motor yacht you may find the issue is corroded wiring/terminals at the sump terminal bar located via a hatch under the mattress.

On my boat the terminal bar sits above the sump tray. When I had the same issue I found the connections were green with corrosion and failed terminals. Because there was so little access and the Hatteras wiring was so short, I direct connected the wires and heat shrank it all. Works perfectly 5 years now.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 07-05-2020 at 03:57 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Did you check for power with a meter at the wires bringing power to the terminal strip?

If not, Are the other sumps on the same breaker? If so there must be a connection somewhere Between the breaker and the sumps
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Float switches are notorious
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    If you have an '80s motor yacht you may find the issue is corroded wiring/terminals at the sump terminal bar located via a hatch under the mattress.

On my boat the terminal bar sits above the sump tray. When I had the same issue I found the connections were green with corrosion and failed terminals. Because there was so little access and the Hatteras wiring was so short, I direct connected the wires and heat shrank it all. Works perfectly 5 years now.
    I have the same setup on my 1983 61’ CPMY. The terminal bar looks pretty bad but when I jump across it with a meter I don’t get any voltage. I also don’t get any voltage at the switch terminal bar in the vanity cabinet. I do get voltage out of the aft sump breaker in the main DC panel in the Port engine room. So the power is being interrupted somewhere between the breaker and the sump terminal bar ?!?

The DC supply wires attaching to the terminal strip on mine were so badly corroded some of the connectors fell off. Try to get clean wire and test or punch through the DC supply wire sheathing with multimeter or sturdy pin. Terrible location for terminal strip on mine.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Did you check for power with a meter at the wires bringing power to the terminal strip?

If not, Are the other sumps on the same breaker? If so there must be a connection somewhere Between the breaker and the sumps
    Yes I checked them and there is no power coming in. The other two sumps are working fine and are on separate breakers.

Do you have power on the output side of the breaker? Then find the negative wire near the pump and the positive feed and check for power there. There may a terminal strip somewhere between the panel and the sump.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Try looking in the rear of the bathroom cabinet. You may find a set of big distribution terminal strips with wires that lead to the sump switch and pump.
    +++
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Try looking in the rear of the bathroom cabinet. You may find a set of big distribution terminal strips with wires that lead to the sump switch and pump.
    On my boat, the aft sump terminal is located adjacent to the sink under the cabinet behind an access panel. It is not getting power from the main panel in the stbd engine room. I rewired it from the stbd dc light terminal, also located in the cabinet. Now it is getting power and the sump pump and float are working.