Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cracked Battery Casings

Hi All;

Six year-old 32V 4 x 8Volt 4D battery set, three of the four battery tops are cracked on the starboard set.

The Starboard alternator hasn't been working (I thought) so I just replaced it.

Today while watering the batteries I found the cracked casing tops on three of the four batteries.

Overcharged? Over watered? Overheated? (Doubtful- we live in San Francisco and we're always freezing our kiesters off!).

Port set are solid as a rock.

I also found one of the jumpers loose on the one battery that wasn't cracked, so that would explain why the set wasn't charging (or able to start an engine).

Also, can someone explain to me if both sets are used for house? Each set is used as starting batteries for their respective engines of course, with the ability to parallel with the switch and solenoid. I'm seeing a lot of battery talk on here today so it is coincidental that I found this mess today.

Thanks all.
    Cracked Battery Top.jpg

Chuck B; Chartmaker
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

Re: Cracked Battery Casings

Only the port side is used as the house batteries.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I would think any kind of overpressure would have popped the vent caps. I have had batteries pop though, in a car, but they were maintenance free, not vented.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

From the picture it looks like an 819 battery. That is the right battery for the boat. If the charger and alternator is good it should last for more than a few years.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I had the same style batteries on our 32V Bertram when we purchased her.
    After a couple of years, these same cracks developed on ours but the batteries continued to work great.
    Seems to be the glue lines mostly, that seals each cells cap in place.
    I pressed black RTV into the cracks and got a couple of more years out of them.

That style of battery is a heck of a work horse. Wish I could find more like them in my area.
    The current 19"ers we are using now is no longer made by EastPenn.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 03-29-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Where did you get that battery watering system?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Hi Dave:

the watering manifold system can be found here: https://www.usbattery.com/battery-watering-technologies/

C
    huck
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    After a couple of years, these same cracks developed on ours but the batteries continued to work great.

That style of battery is a heck of a work horse. Wish I could find more like them in my area.
    that’s too bad... these batteries came from East Penn too. US Battery in Corona (seriously) CA stock 4D 8V batts
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post

More for @Ralph;

I just ordered a few tubes of RTV compound from home depot. Thanks for the tip.

They seem to be taking a charge- I don't want to stress them until the tops are sealed up.
    The PO had let Chartmaker's battery maintenance seriously lapse and I had a real mess on my hands when we cleaned up the generator room. Each battery box was filled with battery acid fluid, so I pulled them, then re-glassed and painted as required.

This sounds like a legitimate repair path- I'm not opposed to buying a new battery set after six years either, its just that with the maintenance procedures we follow I was surprised.

Thanks Again
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

Put the rtv away and get new batteries. That's not a good fix and the fact that they cracked in one place means they will in others.ozone and other factors cause the plastic to get brittle. It will crack and or leak somewhere else and that's not safe.

Please use common sense when choosing a path of repair and maintenance. My insurance company would cringe if I recomend a fix like that. I'm sure a survey would bring up the issues and if there was a problem you could be denied coverage for something like that.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.