Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Soft core around deck fittings sounds like a design problem, not a "normal deficiency". Hatteras didn't put deck fittings where there was coring. They all reside on the gunnel where there is no coring.
    No but they only drilled 5768 holes in the FB. And on the main deck... forward cleats, deck boxes, FB support poles, FB ladder....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    No but they only drilled 5768 holes in the FB. And on the main deck... forward cleats, deck boxes, FB support poles, FB ladder....

But that was in 1970. We're talking about late 80's and 90's Tolly's.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3. Re: 58LRC or Tollycraft 61?

I sold brand new Tollycrafts at a dealership in South Beach Marina in the mid nineties. I wasn’t too impressed with them. I heard all the hype, but my eyes and nose said otherwise. The first thing I didn’t like was the lack of a day head in the salon, and the closest head was way up in the boat, and it stank, like perforated piping. Didn’t like the engine room, didn’t like the galley. Guess the public agreed with me because that dealership went belly up like hundreds of “We’ll show you how it’s done!”, outfits that have come and gone in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. None sold. Oceans were paying the bills. Until they didn’t.

Are you saying 80s hatt didn’t have core juice leaking out of the roof?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I don't have cleats on the deck or flybridge polls. Yes, the bridge is screwed into the cored deck, but I see no other factory penetrations into coring.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I guess by 85 Hatteras had learned their lessons. Plus the ED is a bit different since it only has a tiny balcony instead a full aft deck. No overhang means no support poles. No room for an outside ladder to the FB. And they probably don’t have the Sampson post on the aft deck either. No deck boxes at the bow? So indeed no deck penetration like pretty much every other Hatteras MY...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Now c’mon man look at this “luxury yacht” raised pilot house sky bridge aft living area. No doubt those those rugged PNW peeps would run the bar no problem with this. Tolly ads were always the black and white ones in the back of the boating magazines with the Revel craft and Broadwaters. Their ad had a guy in the customary captains hat with the life ring emblem. He’d be winking with the caption “it’s a Tolly” a bikini’d girl standing behind him would be looking over her shoulder at the Tolly. One morning a bunch of us are sitting around debating if Trojans are junk because the lapstrake didn’t go to the keel when one of the kids perusing a boating mag pointed to the girl in the Tolly ad. Says “look at the way she’s looking at that turd. That guy’s never getting any” I was drinking a coke and it blew out my nostrils. For years after our stock phrase when we wanted to cut up on something was “it’s a Tolly” lol IDK how Tollys are these days but that’s stuck with me all these years.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Now c’mon man look at this “luxury yacht” raised pilot house sky bridge aft living area. No doubt those those rugged PNW peeps would run the bar no problem with this. Tolly ads were always the black and white ones in the back of the boating magazines with the Revel craft and Broadwaters. Their ad had a guy in the customary captains hat with the life ring emblem. He’d be winking with the caption “it’s a Tolly” a bikini’d girl standing behind him would be looking over her shoulder at the Tolly. One morning a bunch of us are sitting around debating if Trojans are junk because the lapstrake didn’t go to the keel when one of the kids perusing a boating mag pointed to the girl in the Tolly ad. Says “look at the way she’s looking at that turd. That guy’s never getting any” I was drinking a coke and it blew out my nostrils. For years after our stock phrase when we wanted to cut up on something was “it’s a Tolly” lol IDK how Tollys are these days but that’s stuck with me all these years.
    I do believe your inner houseboater is trying to get out. Maybe I'll dig up a pic of a Nautiline or and old Somerset and see if you get excited.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    I sold brand new Tollycrafts at a dealership in South Beach Marina in the mid nineties. I wasn’t too impressed with them. I heard all the hype, but my eyes and nose said otherwise. The first thing I didn’t like was the lack of a day head in the salon, and the closest head was way up in the boat, and it stank, like perforated piping. Didn’t like the engine room, didn’t like the galley. Guess the public agreed with me because that dealership went belly up like hundreds of “We’ll show you how it’s done!”, outfits that have come and gone in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. None sold. Oceans were paying the bills. Until they didn’t.
    Interesting perspective from someone who actually has hands on experience, but most of what you are criticizing is subjective. How many Hatt's have a day head in the salon?

I take it you get my point. My concern would be build quality of the 90's versions vs the 80's. I'm still waiting for the guy with the houseboat fetish to back up his claim of chopper guns and shoddy builds. Sorry, Scott, I had to say it.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

C’Mon man! Like my old man used to say. You think if it’s not a Hinkley or a Hatteras it’s a piece of crap. I’d look at him and say Well?

Disclaimer I’m not responsible for MEME grammar
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present