Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head won't fill

Head won't fill

My GM forward head won't fill the bowl, drains ok but bowl,won't fill and no flush water. Haven't used this season and worked fine last season.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Head won't fill

Check to see if you’re getting water through the sea strainer. If there isn’t a blockage then the stator on the smaller end of GM pump needs changing.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I pulled the prime plug on the raw water feed side of pump and it's dry, sea valve is open and strainer is clean. I was expecting water to come out but nada. Should I fill it with tap water and see if that helps.

Yes. Pour water in there until it overflows, then screw the cap back on. That should work. Sometimes it requires more than one attempt at priming.

I have put ball valves on the prime ports on my galley maids. Saves messing around with the little brass caps.

Think there’s a problem somewhere. You ought to have flow out the priming plug.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert, that's what I thought. Head was working fine last season, was winterized and this is my first time using it after winter storage. Both of my other heads are fine.

Bottom clean? Do you put bromide tabs in your strainers? Try a shop vac to the hose
    Last edited by ageless; 07-21-2019 at 10:26 PM.

I found my strainer to be clean and with it open I opened the thru hull and yes I have water. For some reason I have a check valve on the strainer and I think it's jammed up cause I still have no water to priming port. When I fill the prime port and flush it does suck out what I put in but won't draw any water from strainer. I have another used check valve I will swap out when I have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I found my strainer to be clean and with it open I opened the thru hull and yes I have water. For some reason I have a check valve on the strainer and I think it's jammed up cause I still have no water to priming port. When I fill the prime port and flush it does suck out what I put in but won't draw any water from strainer. I have another used check valve I will swap out when I have more time.
    Wait a minute. You have two priming ports. Based on what you said, sounds like you’re priming the waste end. Have you primed the intake end?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I’m not sure the function of the small line, maybe 1/4” id between the intake and discharge on the heads, but I replaced mine and the seawater side seems to prime much easier.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee