Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Looking for advise, 53, 58 and 70 footer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Does anyone have any knowledge of "Golden Girl" 61' extended to 70 ft. down in Arkansas?

https://www.frankgordonyachts.com/boats-for-sale/1981-hatteras-70-cockpit-motor-yacht-little-rock-arkansas-6222295/

or "Painted Life" 58' extended to 72' in Orange Beach Alabama?
    https://www.alliedmarine.com/used-ya...sale/7091235_2

Both have caught my eye but you just can't tell much from the pictures as to the real condition of the boats from the pictures!
    Painted Life recently sold to a couple who took her to Tennessee and re-named her “Miss Tenn-A-Sea.” This was the boat that was a charteryacht in the Virgin Islands back in the early to mid 2000s and named “Bad Boy” at the time.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

A bit of thread drift here but back to the OP question...I had a 58EDMY and now a 48LRC. Separated by about 15 years. In the interim I had boats from 27-34 feet. Some observations based strictly by my own experience:With slip costs running $16-$25/feet per month smaller is significantly less expensive. Also much more challenging to find the larger slipsSmaller less complex engines (ex no turbos) is also niceBigger boats may have more cabins but rarely will you need to sleep more than 4-6 peopleShort of mega yachts galley sizes don't seem to change greatly within this rangeI much prefer the cockpit over the aft deck. Multiple reasons including access, feeling of closeness to the water, dinghy access and line handlingAs I get older although fairly fit a smaller boat is just a little easier to handle around the dock34 feet is not comfortable enough that my wife would spend extended time (weeks) onboard. She is just as happy with the 48 as she was with the 58 and that is about 13 feet less in monthly cost. Galley is almost exactly the same. Saloon is a bit wider on the 48.Side decks would be great but extra saloon width is pretty nice. I am split on this but at least on a 48 it is easy to go from pilothouse to side deck or pilothouse cockpit when single handed. I much prefer piloting and docking from the pilothouse and rarely use the flybridge station.To conclude no doubt the 70 footer will provide the most room but a 53 or even a 48 can give you 3 staterooms, an extra sofa or bunk and plenty of space for 2 full time with occasional guests. Also you will find that the smaller boats often spend less time tied to the dock. A 48 footer is close to my limit for single handing as I age. I have and could do so with even a 70 but no way would I want to!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiego View Post
    A bit of thread drift here but back to the OP question...I had a 58EDMY and now a 48LRC. Separated by about 15 years. In the interim I had boats from 27-34 feet. Some observations based strictly by my own experience:With slip costs running $16-$25/feet per month smaller is significantly less expensive. Also much more challenging to find the larger slipsSmaller less complex engines (ex no turbos) is also niceBigger boats may have more cabins but rarely will you need to sleep more than 4-6 peopleShort of mega yachts galley sizes don't seem to change greatly within this rangeI much prefer the cockpit over the aft deck. Multiple reasons including access, feeling of closeness to the water, dinghy access and line handlingAs I get older although fairly fit a smaller boat is just a little easier to handle around the dock34 feet is not comfortable enough that my wife would spend extended time (weeks) onboard. She is just as happy with the 48 as she was with the 58 and that is about 13 feet less in monthly cost. Galley is almost exactly the same. Saloon is a bit wider on the 48.Side decks would be great but extra saloon width is pretty nice. I am split on this but at least on a 48 it is easy to go from pilothouse to side deck or pilothouse cockpit when single handed. I much prefer piloting and docking from the pilothouse and rarely use the flybridge station.To conclude no doubt the 70 footer will provide the most room but a 53 or even a 48 can give you 3 staterooms, an extra sofa or bunk and plenty of space for 2 full time with occasional guests. Also you will find that the smaller boats often spend less time tied to the dock. A 48 footer is close to my limit for single handing as I age. I have and could do so with even a 70 but no way would I want to!

Some very good points! Thank you for your input

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Painted Life recently sold to a couple who took her to Tennessee and re-named her “Miss Tenn-A-Sea.” This was the boat that was a charteryacht in the Virgin Islands back in the early to mid 2000s and named “Bad Boy” at the time.
    Would you happen to know what Painted Life sold for? I think it was listed at $229,000
    I really liked the cockpit aft deck, very unique and useable!

Would you happen to know what Painted Life sold for? I think it was listed at $229,000
    I really liked the cockpit aft deck, very unique and useable!
    I do not know. I was surprised to see her listed at that price - seemed low, but I’ve not been on the boat in quite a while and telling was that the broker’s ad did not have any engine room photos, nor engine hours. I know that Bruce (the owner who did the extension) spent $700,000 turning that 58MY into a 72-footer.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

So I have been skulking around in here since spring when me and the Admiral decided we wanted a larger boat to "possibly" live on during the summer months here in Michigan. After a few months of looking at cheaper and smaller boats we easily settled on Hatteras as the most desirable boat for us. We also are experienced "boat creep" LOL. It seems that you can get a nice 53, 58 or even 70 footer for nearly the same price. We found 3 really nice 53's local to our area that we really like with one standing out that we did put an offer in on but were not able to secure the financing at the time. (need more down payment). Since then we found a real nice 58 MY that is local and beautifully restored that could be had for the same price as the 53. There is also a 70 in Arkansas that actually "looks" more updated and has a cockpit as well (it's a 61 extended to 70)

Just curious if any of you could offer advice on what you would choose and why. Big open ended question I know But hey I just thought this would be the place to ask!

Any input would be much appreciated!
    20140830_144113_Android 1.jpg
    I bought the last 53 ever built New in 1989. It's a 53ED. We like to boat year round and loved the huge interior salon.
    We had thought about adding a cockpit but instead we replaced the Hatteras swim grid with a 4 foot custom. Never thought about a cockpit again. We have owned Prime Time IV since new. Boathouse kept with many upgrades and only 1300 original hours. I know others who've added an expensive cockpit and regretted it as it changes the handling characteristics of the boat.
    As I'm pushing 80 I soon have to realize that my boating days are numbered. Our 53 is a great boat.
    Good Luck

Mr. smith is that a recent picture of your hatt? That is a beautiful well kept boat. If you have a picture of swim platform I would like to see it as I want to do something similar on my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Smith View Post
    Attachment 46339
    I bought the last 53 ever built New in 1989. It's a 53ED. We like to boat year round and loved the huge interior salon.
    We had thought about adding a cockpit but instead we replaced the Hatteras swim grid with a 4 foot custom. Never thought about a cockpit again. We have owned Prime Time IV since new. Boathouse kept with many upgrades and only 1300 original hours. I know others who've added an expensive cockpit and regretted it as it changes the handling characteristics of the boat.
    As I'm pushing 80 I soon have to realize that my boating days are numbered. Our 53 is a great boat.
    Good Luck
    Thank you for your input, I think 30 plus years with the same boat is a pretty good testament to how ideal they just might be! With regards to the cockpit, I keep looking for one with but then I don't like how it makes the master smaller. How did the swim platform help so much?
    Thanks,
    Bob

20170802_152525 (2) (1).jpgDSCN0661.jpg

Have attached photos of 4 foot swim platform with dive ladder...about twice the size of the original Hatteras grid.

I need one of those platforms.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay