Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley_oasis View Post
    My boat has same setup from factory and she holds just fine.
    176Lb Bruce, 50' chain, and the rest nylon 3 strand rode.

I will admit you need to be careful when deploying and retrieving anchor, and long term plan is to replace with a horizontal windlass set slightly further back.
    The 50 feet of chain make all the difference...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    Did someone say 176lb anchor? Is that unusual? I think my 60’ has only a 44(kg?). Holds great. 176 sounds crazy to me.
    176 lbs on a 61 footer is a bit of an overkill but it must hold real well. You know an anchor is the right size when people laugh at it or call it crazy.

I can’t imagine not having all chain unless one never anchors and just marina hops...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I use a 75 CQR with all chain works good, but agree with pascal bigger the better, llike to put a 105 up there but not sure if my old galley maid would like it

Just to clarify, this post was in reference to a 53 Hatteras that I'm considering. I won't be satisfied with the current windlass setup.

What's an approximate cost (if available) to find a decent complete original used assembly with the proper SS bow rail extension?

Don't laugh .....I'm serious

Thanks,

Mel

** I have confidence that I'll get an answer from somebody

Galley maid can supply a longer shaft and chain gipsy. They re very helpful. I brought them my windlass to rebuild ealier this month. Cheaper than installing a new windlass made in China.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Galley maid can supply a longer shaft and chain gipsy. They re very helpful. I brought them my windlass to rebuild ealier this month. Cheaper than installing a new windlass made in China.
    Pascal,

I would want to get the entire original 'V' shaped fiberglass housing/wood trim along with the capstan & chain gypsy. With (2) foot switches, this setup operates up and down, correct?

What are the odds of getting the SS bow rail loop/stanchions as original?

Thanks,

Mel

176 lbs on a 61 footer is a bit of an overkill but it must hold real well. You know an anchor is the right size when people laugh at it or call it crazy.

I can’t imagine not having all chain unless one never anchors and just marina hops...
    All chain is the final plan once windlass is replaced. Currently no chain gypsy just warping drum, so weight of all chain rode may be an issue when retrieving. Trying to keep my fingers.
    I like overkill, it helps me sleep at night, original 80Lb Bruce dragged a few times, probably due to short length of chain. Plus I started my boating on the Bristol Channel where 30' tide range is not unusual.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

You may get lucky maybe salvaged from a sinker but chances are you d have to have it made

Galleymaid windlasses can be powered down but recommend free falling as repeated power down especially under tension can cause wear on the case and eventually on the gear according to the tech I talked to when I brought mine

As to anchor weight and chain weight it shouldn’t be a problem. They are rated for far more weight than that
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Cool Re: A Windlass unlike the usual on a 53 Hatteras 1976 - Anybody seen one like it?

You may get lucky maybe salvaged from a sinker but chances are you d have to have it made

Galleymaid windlasses can be powered down but recommend free falling as repeated power down especially under tension can cause wear on the case and eventually on the gear according to the tech I talked to when I brought mine

As to anchor weight and chain weight it shouldn’t be a problem. They are rated for far more weight than that
    Who would fabricate that SS bow rail/stanchion assembly?

The tension and case wear on the power down makes perfect sense. Looks like my little mermaid gets the 'anchor down' command......oh well, some things just never change.

Thanks,

Mel

Any metal shop should be able to make the rail

If you re going to make a pulpit, design it with a ledge on the back side to contain dirt and run a drain overboard thru the anchor locker. I hate it when intense the anchor and dirt flows all over the deck!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat