Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Save Going to the Bahamas!!

Bahamas Checklist 2008

Going to the Bahamas? Here is how to save some time and money. Some thoughts distilled from the year.

1. Customs: There is now a $300 cash fee for clearing into the Bahamas for a boat of 35 ft. or more. This includes a fishing license. If you plan on spearing lobster or catching conch, have them add this in writing to your permit. The good news is that this fee eliminates customs overtime charges after 5 p.m. The bad news is that the customs agent is likely to have gone home by then. You won’t find anyone to clear you on many islands. This has probably happened to me more than 10 times. I have never had a problem going ashore for drinks and dinner on the smaller islands once I have found they have gone home. No one has ever cared. Unfortunately, it is always possible to find one grouchy inspector. So caveat emptor.

Tipping the customs agent: Unlike the US, this is often done. But don’t give too much or next you will meet his brother, the immigrations man, also with his hand out. For the last ten years or so I have cleared at the same location. I give them $10 if they are courteous. They have gotten to recognize me. As an old Bahamian captain said to me, "It never hurts."

2. Most places welcome your credit card for dockage, food, drink, fuel. But they usually tack a 3-5% credit card fee onto everything. Now I realize 5% is 5%. But 5% of a $200 fuel bill is $10. My last fill up was $2,400 for fuel and 5% was $120. That got my attention. So consider carrying cash. Hide it somewhere aboard for security. Remember, if you bring more than $10,000 back into the U.S., you must declare it to customs. If they catch you with it, it is subject to forfeiture. (Don’t tell the US customs man, as I once did, that if I had more than $10,000 I would have stayed longer, because he did not see any humor in that, and sent me to the bad line.)

3. Telephone: The Bahamas Telephone Co. is shifting cell phones from digital TDMA service to the European GSM. My AT&T GSM phone worked there this year (Bimini, Nassau, Chubb Cay, Eleuthera, Exumas). You do have to call AT&T from the US ahead of time to set your account up for international roaming. My bill came out to be $2.30 US per long distance minute, and I got billed every time I called someone, even if the call did not go through, which happened about 70% of the time. Still, people could call into us, and that is worth something. You can only receive a call-back at a public phone if you are there. It's worth $2.30 to get it at your home afloat.

For calling out in port, especially for local calls, consider buying Batelco phone cards. However, the largest is only for $20, and mine usually have the last dollar or two left in them. They are not refundable, nor can they be combined. Give them to a Bahamian for local calls if you can’t use them yourself.

4. Fuel: Fuel costs are controlled by the government, based on cost plus delivery from somewhere, probably Nassau. I am hearing $6.50 or so for diesel. Remember, Bahamians are paying it too.

5. Water: When I first got my watermaker, I was given some chlorine test strips. I used them to test tap water in the Biminis, Berrys, Nassau, Abacos and Exumas and never detected chlorine. Add some bleach to each tank or make your own. I add a cup of Clorox per 100 gallons. As I have 3 approx. 100 gal. tanks, that’s one cup to start, one in middle, one at end starting with empty. Always taste the fresh water before putting any in your tank. Sometimes it’s salty. (Don’t know how to reconcile this with disinfecting using chlorine. Gargle?) Now that we have our grandchildren on board we just make all our water ourselves. I hate to remember the days before watermakers when we had to drink whatever was available.

6. Electricity: The power on Eleuthera was off frequently in March/April, sometimes off for up to 18 hours. As it would come and go there were large voltage fluctuations.
    We lost a toaster oven and our TV, even though it was on an uninterruptible power source/surge protector. Although maybe it was just old. When the power is flaky, use your inverter or generator. Transistors can't take it.

7. Cash: There are getting to be more ATMs in the islands now. Just insert your card and get money. Usually the ATMs can’t read your account balance. As they deliver Bahamian dollars, you may be charged a 3% foreign exchange rate premium. Some credit/debit cards don’t charge this premium. Ask your bank or shop around for a card that doesn’t. Capital One is said to be one, but they won’t give me a card. If you want a card they won't give it to you. Since then I have received at least three "preapproved" solicitiation letters from Cap One. Go figure.

8. Groceries: There are no income or estate taxes in the Bahamas. The government runs on customs duties of about 30%, including delivery charges to get there, on everything. Food is expensive! Bring as much as you can. Diet sodas are hard to find, although Diet Coke is fairly common. Anything else—bring your own. There are good grocery stores in Nassau, Spanish Wells, Georgetown (Exumas), probably Marsh Harbor. Most other places--just buy what they have. Be happy.

Customs can give your guests quite a hard time about bringing in fresh produce, especially when guests say they are staying on a boat. If they say they are staying in a hotel, customs doesn’t even ask about food. (Be sure your Bahamas immigration card also is filled in with “hotel,” not “cruising the Bahamas.”)

9. Mail: Don’t use Bahamian mail. A three-month delivery time to the US is not uncommon. (Cards marked “mailed in Nov. for Christmas” arrived at my house in late February.) Bring US stamps, give your mail to people flying home to post. Fed Ex seems to get through, but usually you have to pick it up yourself.

10. Spare parts: here is my lesson: if you really need a part, get on a plane to the USA, get the part, and fly back. Everyone will tell you they can ship it to you. Mostly they can’t. If they do, it will get lost in customs. Duty: there is an exception for spare parts for boats in transit. You’ll need a copy of your customs transire (the original must stay on the boat). There is still a 7% stamp tax that may be charged. By the time you run down the 50 or so reasons your part is not there you might as well just get it yourself. You can also get a haircut in the USA – barbers are scarce in the Bahamas.

11. Firearms: Legal to take to the Bahamas. They have to be listed on your customs transire. Caliber, make, model, serial number and an accurate count of rounds for each gun. They are British, so they are serious about this.

The trouble is if you are going on to another “British” country – Turks & Caicos, or Dominican Republic, firearms are not welcomed at all. They will “hold” your weapons for the duration of your stay. I worry about getting them back. Maybe you don’t want any mention of them on your Bahamian transire. Up to you.

12. Fish/Lobster/Conch: Rules keep changing. Last year non-Bahamian catching of conch was forbidden. As if we are good enough to catch so many as to endanger the species! Reasonable limits are fine, but this is silly.

13. Flying: If you leave your boat in the Bahamas, go home and want to go one-way back to pick it up again, it causes a problem. The Bahamas airlines want you to buy a round-trip ticket. The copy of your ship papers (again, not the original) should be good proof of your return, but it’s hard to convince the airlines to accept this. You’ll probably have to see an agent and convince them. Still, that’s better than trying to get a refund from some of the smaller airlines. Using a major credit card may let you refund, but it’s a hassle.

14. Charts and Guidebooks: I have recently tossed over the Chartkit charts in favor of the Explorer Chart Services. There are three volumes, Near Bahamas, Exumas, and Far Bahamas. They have a website for corrections, news, etc. Their charts are really good, and the volumes have most of the phone numbers you may need.

I have always liked the Yachtsman’s Guide to the Bahamas for its commentary. Lately, however, they have not printed the current year’s edition by mid-February, so it has been of no use for my spring cruising. Sad.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 06-25-2008 at 01:57 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Re: Save Going to the Bahamas!!

Jim,
    Sounds like a fun trip. Do you have any pictures you can share?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Save Going to the Bahamas!!

Sky

I seem to be photographically challenged. Trying to get the computer and the camera together is like patting my tummy and rubbing my head, all at once. Still, I have a few photos, and just went on vacation, so now perhaps time. Maybe I can try again.....
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932