Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help

Question Need help

I am looking to buy an older yacht to live aboard, an idea I've had for several years and have been looking at several forums to get advise. One I looked at Yachtforums.com seems to be a gathering of extremely rich people with no idea of the events of daily life. Anyway, I have been reading this forum for a few months and would appreciate any advise you may have.

I would like to be a sunseeker in the winter and a calm weather seeker in the summer. Since I currently live in Pa I would like to summer in the northern Chesapeake Bay and winter in Florida somewhere.

I understand the difference between a planning hull and displacement hull and wonder about the seaworthyness of a planning hull. Since I will only be doing the ICW though does that really matter?

I would like to buy about a 50 to 55 foot yacht, plan to use a captain until I am familiar with it, for about $200,000.00. Any recommmendations would be appreciated. I do like the older 53 and 58 foot Hatteras though. Do they hold up well, mechanically, electrically, plumbing, environmentally, etc?

Re: Need help

Welcome. I think you have come to right place.

Before I begin a lengthly reply, please go to the SEARCH tab at the top of your screen and type in "liveaboard". Lots of good discussion.

Take a look and let us know if you have further questions.

A 53 or 58MY would be a great liveaboard, but the initial purchase price is just the begining of your expenses. These boats have many complex systems that are built very well but they are not maintenance free. Failed components are expensive to replace. Don't expect a $200K boat in this size range to be in perfect operational condition.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

AMEN BROTHER ;-) ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Hi there, just wanted to suggest another forum that you might find helpful, if you have not already been there is...livingaboard.com good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers, Laurie & Jim (NOW IN FLORIDA, Hooray!!!!!)

Hatteras are great boats for living aboard. We lived on our 53MY for 10 months doing the Great Loop Route with no problems. A number of Forum members here live on their boats.

The only two questions in your posting were as follows:

1. Do Hatteras stand up over time? Answer is yes, if they're reasonably well maintained. In fact, Hatteras has a reputation for standing up extremely well over time and the generally higher used boat prices show it.

2. Do I need planing hull or displacement? Most Hatteras, including the 53s and 58s have a "semi-displacement" hull, which just means that if you have the higher powered engines it will plane. Two 435 HP diesels can get a 60,000 lb boat on top of the water. The same boat with naturally aspirated diesels will not plane. The difference in a 53MY is from about 13 knots max for naturals to about 19 knots max for planing. At 16 knnots cruise, a 53MY will burn about 2.5 gal per Nautical Mile. At hull speed of 9.1knots, a 53MY burns about 1 GPNM.

FYI - You'll be going outside of the ICW a number of times into the Atlantic Ocean because the New Jersey and Georgia ICWs are notoriously shallow, so most people with that size boat go outside. Also, the Chesapeake and the Hawk Channel (Florida Keys) is about the same as going outside in the ocean. Even so, you can just wait for calm seas and go any speed you want, whether planing or not.

Doug Shuman

I've got a 60C which would be a great liveaboard and it is well under your price limit. It is in the For Sale section.....
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

welcome...

at current prices you shoudl be able to find a good 53 or 58 which is really the ideal liveaboard. on the down side, they dont' have the wider beam of the later ones, 54, 56, etc... but these are still well over 200k

They do hold up very well, Hatteras used quality components and systems on these boats. Teh detroits are simple engines, not as clean and ecomical as modern diesels but they will get you home...

you may want to use the services of a captain during your search, might save you some $$ by not getting a survey on a boat that's not even worth it.

about the trip, yes NJ has to be run outside but the rest is very passable with a 53 or 58 even Georgia. I did the trip last month with a 70 footer (6+' draft) and it was no problem.

there is no better boat as a liveaboard as these flush deck hatteras. you have a lot of living spaces, and a well built boat. I've been living on my 53 for almost 5 years now and love it.

they are also VERY easy to handle... they can be singlehanded with no problem thanks to the lower helm and side doors.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If you are looking for an excellent prospect that needs some work, a former member of this forum has a 58 tripple cabin for sale. Currently located in Knoxville TN.