Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No enclosed aft deck.

In my search for a CPMY w/enclosed aft deck I have noticed that around the mid 90's everyone went to open aft decks, why. Maybe its the Southern guy in me and all the time we spent on the screened porch dining and sipping wine. An enclosed aft deck is one of the top requirements in my search. I just can't imagine sitting at the dock or anchored out fighting the skeets and noseeums. Who started this trend and why.

Re: No enclosed aft deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Funat50 View Post
    In my search for a CPMY w/enclosed aft deck I have noticed that around the mid 90's everyone went to open aft decks, why. Maybe its the Southern guy in me and all the time we spent on the screened porch dining and sipping wine. An enclosed aft deck is one of the top requirements in my search. I just can't imagine sitting at the dock or anchored out fighting the skeets and noseeums. Who started this trend and why.

I am a southerner as well and the first thing I did when I got this 58YF (and when I first got the 41TC 8 years ago) was remove the hard enclosure on the aft deck and brought it back to an open aft deck as Hatteras intended. I can understand up north that the weather would not permit use of an open aft deck much of the time, but in the south that is where we spend most of our time aboard. While underway there are no bugs and the aft deck is a wonderful place to be. There is almost always a breeze on the water and the only time bugs or nats come out is around sunset so on those days without wind we simply step into the salon for a bit.

I imagine that most people buy a boat to enjoy the outdoors, so why enclose the best outdoor space on board? I can see no need to enclose the aft deck when there is a perfectly good salon a few steps away. IMHO, an aft deck is for open air relaxing and the salon is for enclosed, air conditioned relaxation. A nice compromise might be an open aft deck that has soft sides that can be rolled down or put up for those who want to temporarily enclose it.

same here... the aft deck on my 53 is the best part of the boat. when anchored there is always enough breeze to be comfortable even in florida's steamy summer.

if we anchor far enough form shore, bugs aren't a problem.

at the marina, it's a little hotter depending on the wind but usually cool enough. and to stay cool we need the aft deck to be open!

actually, i think that the aft decks on most recent Hatteras (90s+) are way to small.

enclosing an aft deck, isnt' hard either with soft curtains (and screens) or even with lexan panels on the sides.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I should have been more specific. I WANT and open aft deck for that back porch feel but with screens or enclosures that open. The newer models don't offer a bug resistant option. I used to have a sail boat I docked in Oriental, NC along the Nuese River and sitting in the cockpit in the evenings was like be staked out on an ant hill. If most find it is not an issue it might change might thinking. Im mostly interested in a 63 or 67 CPMY.

Quote Originally Posted by Funat50 View Post
    I should have been more specific. I WANT and open aft deck for that back porch feel but with screens or enclosures that open. The newer models don't offer a bug resistant option. I used to have a sail boat I docked in Oriental, NC along the Nuese River and sitting in the cockpit in the evenings was like be staked out on an ant hill. If most find it is not an issue it might change might thinking. Im mostly interested in a 63 or 67 CPMY.
    Well then, it sounds pretty simple to me...when you find the boat you want and buy it, have a set of enclosures made from a canvas maker if the boat does not have one or if you don't like the way its present enclosure is designed. Screen panels are always an option. I had them on my previous boat. Any good canvas maker can change any design of an enclosure. On my last boat, I wanted more head room...a few new support poles in a different length and bend, along with new canvas, and I got a whole new living area that had screens. I can tell you that screens will really cut down on the available breeze. I needed them to keep my cat inside. Had it not been for the kitty, I would not have used the screens. It was hot with the screens in place and as soon as removed the screen panels, I got lots of fresh air blowing through.
    Last edited by Angela; 06-20-2008 at 03:17 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

on most of these boats, this is going to be something done by the owners and a good canvas shop... if you're looking at 10 years+ boat, chances are the curtains and screens are not original anyway.

a good cnavas shop should be able to do a clear enclosure with both roll up eisenglass and screens.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

i agree with pascal and thirdhatt, i wouldn't close the aft deck on mt 58yf for anything in the world, it is the best place on the boat to sip cocktails. if we get to hot i simply open the salon doors and put a small fan blowing outside, just the opposite in the winter, just push some heat out there. bigbill

Our aft deck is our favorite place on the boat (53MY). There are canvas and plastic windows we can put up if it's raining and fabric screens instead of the plastic windows if it's too buggy. I can put up or take down all 5 coverings in about 10 minutes. If we really need to be inside, there's the salon.

Doug Shuman

Smile Re: No enclosed aft deck.

I'd love to get a 53', lots to choose from and a true classic, unfortunately aft cockpit is a must. So I guess it's going to be a 58YF, 61-63-67 CMY. My must list; 3 stateroom & head, walk around, lower helm, aft deck, cockpit. As stated from an earlier poster, "Looking for a distressed owner, not a distressed boat".

Do yourself a favor and add Naiad stabilizers to your "must" list. They're great and won't add that much to the used boat price, but will cost $50K to add on later.

Doug