Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Stormtracker radio vs VHF

I posted this on the BOAT/US forum:

I bought a "Stormtracker" weather radio today per the Admiral's request. Safety is number one with us.

It's the one "The Weather Channel" talks about, runs on batteries or can be wound up using a crank. Cost only $39. Oh, also has a built in led flashlight and adapter to charge your cell phone.......

In the past, I used one of my handheld VHF radios, set it on the local weather channel, turned the vol. down low, turn the sql. up high and kept it in our stateroom. When a warning came thru, the alarm was loud enough to alert us/wake us and then we would turn the vol. up and listen.

Seems to me this radio doesn't do anything differently. I'm not knocking the weather radio, as both went off about 30 mins ago due to severe marine weather warning off the coast.

I plan on using both... the weather radio runs on 3 AAA batteries where as both of my portable VHFs runs on AA batteries and/or a 12v adapter. Plus we have 2 VHF 25 watt radios, one in the cockpit, the other in the saloon we can also program.

Since we are full time liveaboards, keeping track of the weather is important to us.

But since most boaters have a handheld VHF, seems that would do the same job. Just a thought. But if you do not have a handheld, the $39 price of the weather radio is worth the cost.

"As an add-on" In the summertime I carry one of the handheld VHF with me 'just in case" something pops up while I'm at work........
    Last edited by Jaxfishgyd; 06-19-2008 at 06:49 PM.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Stormtracker radio vs VHF

Charlie,

Very interesting about the VHF - I didn't know that hand held VHFs had an alarm for storm warnings. How does that work? What model?

Thanks,

Doug

3. Re: Stormtracker radio vs VHF

I have a Standart Horizon handheld (submersible, since we know I have this habit of getting wet in the past year). Here in Jacksonville weather channel one is our local one. Even when the volumn is almost off, the weather alarm is loud enought to get our attention.

The admiral will be taking the stormtracker radio to work with her as she is the director of a preschool.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

4. Re: Stormtracker radio vs VHF

Wow, the stormtracker radio only last 3 days when on batteries.. What a deal.... My handheld VHF lasts about 2 weeks when used as a weather alarm with volumn down...

Told her I'm taking it back.

Course I could get one that comes with an AC adapter but it's $89. Would rather buy a cheap handheld VHF in that case, least it can multi task if needed.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

FWIW,

The Icom M34 has the ability to scan the weather channel for alerts and will sound the alarm for any storm warnings or severe weather. Icom is a well respected name and this model is essentially waterproof and it floats. IMHO, off South Florida a vhf with the alarm capability is a "must have". Those afternoon storms gather inland and can really pack a punch and a Zap if you know what I mean.

While I have Radar and the Sirius satellite weather (which can also be alarmed) the vhf is a good heads up to stop fishing for a minute and look at the radar / satellite feed. The great thing about the satellite (whether XM or Sirius) is that it gives you your own "Weather Channel" relative to your boats position. I have used it many times to keep us out of the meat of any storms (just drive around them, more or less) and also at night while swordfishing to make a decision to stop fishing because we had a conveyor belt of storms rolling at our position. Very powerful.

Greg
    1985 45C
    Hat Time
    Miami Beach

Charlie,

Thanks for the great tip! I just looked at my dinghy handheld VHF and it has that weather alert beep tone too. It also gets the NWS-SAME weather alert by specific geographic area. I just had it for a VHF for the dinghy, but now I'll have a night-time alert too. The HOF always has something interesting!

Doug