Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grainger Rebuke

Grainger Rebuke

I am a retired guy, and it is great having lots of time for the boat, would not trade it for any other occupation in the world. But, I have run into one small irritant. Since I relocated to the east coast, and am truly retired with no side jobs or business, Grainger refuses to sell to me, directing me to find a retailer that will source what I need and purchase it through them with their sizable markup for just placing the order. Thinking that there are others with the same occupation as I on the forum, my question is,: has anyone figured out a solution to this irritant that does not involve registering a business, phone listing, etc.? Thanks

Pete

Re: Grainger Rebuke

That's really odd. I thought one could walk in off the street and buy from them...they even have retail stores.

If you need stuff you could buy under my business account, you just have to pay for it when you buy.

I have a resale certificate and they sell to me but I do not think their prices are that good. I have many other suppliers that are better.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

4. Re: Grainger Rebuke

If you aren't buying from the "manufacturer" then you are buying at some level of retail. Grainger doesn't make a thing, they buy and sell just like any other "retailer". They are a distributor and can under cut most retailers.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Mcmaster-Carr sells many of the same things as Grainger and will sell you to you!

Dan
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Lady View Post
    If you aren't buying from the "manufacturer" then you are buying at some level of retail. Grainger doesn't make a thing, they buy and sell just like any other "retailer". They are a distributor and can under cut most retailers.
    As they explained to me "My volume only warrants a certain discount". Other distributors give me more favorable treatment and fair pricing. HD Supply has been aggressive lately. I have been contacted twice. I may give them a try too. It's like the Worst Marine/Port supply BS. Make as much as possible and hope the customer never wises up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Time for an update. After Krush's reply, I went to the Grainger web site to look for the info I had seen time and time again about "wholesale only". Having been faced with this position as late as last Fall when I needed a Dayton blower motor for a Cruisair evaporator, I was indeed surprised to see no such restrictions listed at this time. Next, I called their "888" order line and inquired as to direct sales to consumers. Answer was YES. Grainger has changed their business model. Bottom line, they have gone to a retail price in the catalog with discounts to businesses, based on dollar volume. Thus, my original post was a true example of "ready, fire, aim".

And McMaster, I use them all the time. In my opinion, the world's greatest hardware store. I have yet to find another source with such a complete set of basic hardware. Lots of 316 stainless.

Thanks to all for the responses. Krush, please check your private messages

Pete