Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Cost of cruising

4 boats from our marina and went to Savannah Ga 10 days ago.. And got back Sunday.........

3 are Marine Traders, the other one is a Silverton.....(size runs from 60' to 34')

Just talked to our neighbor... there's is a 43(?) Marine Trader.... with small diesels......

Said they spent over $2,000 between fuel and dockage..... And they anchored out 4 nights.... 2 going up and 2 coming back. Took 3 days up and back.... (Now they did need to fuel up before they left, and no idea how much they needed).

Do know the price was $4.50 a gal when they fueled up here.... No idea what it costed when they refueled... or where they refueled at.

And that does not include what they spent for food and fun while there.
    But it sure is now expensive to move one's boat for a short cruise
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Cost of cruising

true... but that's $2000 for 10 days for at least one couple, half if you have friends with you. what kind of vacation do you get for $100 to $200 a day?

something at a motel 6 and fast food meals? it's not that bad considering what you get. And in many areas you can anchor out and keep cost down.

on a typical winter weekend we use 10USG, 20 in summer since we run the AC at night. even at $5 a gal, that's still under $100 to anchor out in beuatiful waters.

what do you get for $100 on land? let see.. dinner for two? over $100 and that's just one evening, not the week end.

Boating can still be a great value.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

3. Re: Cost of cruising

Pascal,
    "Your preaching to the choir".... I 100% agree with you.

HOPEFULLY we will be able to get The Admiral's 92 yr old Dad into a retirement home within a month as the paperwork is almost done.

THEN we can actually go off for more than a day as he cannot be left alone anymore........ And we are the only family he has....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

4. Re: Cost of cruising

$2k for 10 days all-in isn't bad. In fact, I think its a pretty good deal.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Like Pascal said, take another couple with you. Split the cost and wow, what a vacation. I don't think you can beat a vacation when you are on your own boat. I can't wait until July 4th. We plan on anchoring out all week in and around Cape San Blas and St. Joe Bay. Not a very long run but it gets us away from the dock. That's all that counts.
    captbuddy

Cape San Blas and Port St Joe -- brings back memories of when I lived in Panama City Beach (BayPoint). We had a 43 DC back then (25 yrs ago) and looked forward to our 3 or 4 day trips. Overnight and 3 days at Crooked Island or Shell Island were wonderful also.

Pascal has the real deal as he barely needs to warm his engines to get to some great anchorages at Biscayne Bay.

Walt P

I just got back from a couple weeks cruising to Charlotte Harbour and back.
    Slowed down to the mid 7 knot range and got close to 3nmpg which is up from 1.5 nmpg at 8.5-9 knots so the fuel cost is net neutral from last season

Although the longer cruise time increased underway beer consumption, I think this is offset by having a little less time consuming higher cost drinks in a bar at the end of the day.

Lived on the hook with generator and a/c running 20 hours a day at 1/2 gallon an hour so lodging cost $40 a day.

Gas for the 22 foot bay boat to go tarpon fishing cost probably $75 per day but hooking 3 tarpon a day has significantly more value. So all in, I think it cost $200-$250 per day for me to entertain 4-6 people.

Here is what some of my other entertainment costs:

1. An endzone club seat at a Bucs game $165 plus $8 beer and $30 parking

2. Family of four Rays game cheapest tix available- $50 for tix and $100 for food and drink.

3. Snow skiing -- Easily $250 per day per person without air fare.

Boating's marginal cost is simply an entertainment bargain. It's the high fixed cost and low use boater that should re-consider the game. That's why it is so painful to have to stay home and work this summer rathr than cruising for a couple of months.

Bruce
    Freestyle
    1976 43 DCMY
    Tampa

8. Re: Cost of cruising

Bruce,
    What engines do you have? I always "meant to" figure out what mpg I would get at less than 9 kts. A lot of our cruising IS 7 kts.
    At 9 kts RPM is 1100, at 7 kts it's about 900 RPM.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Charlie,

I have J&T 6/71 N's rated with N-60 injectors rated at 283 hp.

I do not have flow scans so my measurements are based upon GPS track and dipping a stick in my tanks.

7.2-7.5 knots requires about 1100-1150 rpms. I need about 1600 rpm's to get 9.1 kts. which gives a 43 DCMY a nice frim ride but requires moving some water.

I like getting there as much as being there so slow is fine.

Bruce
    Freestyle
    1976 43 DCMY
    Tampa