Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: So Brunswick is/has laid off 1000 workers

I've finally learned that NO ONE cares about what happened in the past. It's all "ancient history" that could not possibly pertain to us since we are much smarter than anyone who ever lived before.

The search for alternate fuels is really a bizarre deal. We are going to spend huge amounts of money trying to "grow" fuel when there is an unlimited supply of cheap fuel being produced by the earth. Until we sort out nuclear power, which we in the US abandoned years ago (OOPS!), OIL is the cheapest abundant fuel available. At least it would be if we actually drilled for it.

As the old saying goes, those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We are some seriously repeating dudes and dudettes and I'm glad that I lived when we were great; I don't care to be here when we are a footrest for China, India, et al...

OK, too many Mt Gays...

Quote Originally Posted by mikep
    Until we sort out nuclear power, which we in the US abandoned years ago (OOPS!)
    Jeez, even a Greenpeace founder admits error.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041401209.html

The only problem with such a late correction is that being dumb 30-odd years ago has cost plenty of CO2, empowered the middle east, heated the planet, etc.

Crap. And lots of us thought Jane Fonda was pretty darn smart. Who'da thunk she was wrong, given her PhD in Physics and all. It's not like she earned her stripes in Barbarella and Klute (Krush: look 'em up).

How we used to set policy:

3. Re: So Brunswick is/has laid off 1000 workers

I just love the robber baron analogy. Hey, tell me how many times you have called a plumber or electrician to come over when you didn't need them? You don't because they will charge you for doing nothing, and you get nothing in return. If a company no longer has any business (i.e. work), why would you have a bunch of people hanging around doing nothing? You wouldn't pay people to do nothing. I tried to do this, thinking that business would turn around. It cost me dearly. I learned my lesson. I don't see their actions as evil. I see them as necessary for survival. The money has to come from somewhere. If customers are no longer footing the bill which allows the company to pay wages, then they have no choice but to let people go. Only the government can afford to have people standing around doing nothing.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

We all agree that layoffs are sometimes necessary but to lay people and get a bonus to do it just rubs me the wrong way. If you can re invent the company and turn it around without laying people off then I think a bonus is earned.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Jeez, even a Greenpeace founder admits error.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041401209.html

The only problem with such a late correction is that being dumb 30-odd years ago has cost plenty of CO2, empowered the middle east, heated the planet, etc.

Crap. And lots of us thought Jane Fonda was pretty darn smart. Who'da thunk she was wrong, given her PhD in Physics and all. It's not like she earned her stripes in Barbarella and Klute (Krush: look 'em up).

How we used to set policy:
    I thought there was a "chair" funded for her in Hanoi, used only once however.

Off point, but DDT has been debunked as well. Those bad eggshells? Well, turns out if you withhold the fishbones from the diet of fish eating birds, their eggshells fail from lack of calcium. The all fish meat diet, sans bones, they were fed was no doubt developed by dopy lab officials who ate their fish at MikkeeDee's.

Note that the Sun spots just re-appearred. Astronomers are so precise now, that the sunspot cycles have Phase Numbers (about 11 years long) and each sunspot is cataloged and number. Astronomers say they were quiet for much longer than normal; about the length of our Global Warming maybe?
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

"The working definition of communism is shortages" That is what the tour guide in Prague said. As the eastern europeans that were essentially conqured by the USSR how communism works. It was amazing to hear a 37 year old talk about what it was like to live under communism a mere 20 years ago.