Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Midnight Lace

Midnight Lace

Sorry if I am breaking a rule here, I know this is a Hatteras forum, and I have owned Hatteras and we will be visiting the factory this fall. But, I inspected a Midnight Lace yesterday, and quite frankly liked it. Does anyone know anything about these boats, other than they are well...different? Construction? etc.

Re: Midnight Lace

Midnight Lace boats are the brain child of legendary marine architech Tom Fexus. They are considered a custom yacht as opposed to production.

They are well designed and considered by many to be modern classics.

If the style is to your liking, proceed.

Hatteras owners are big enough to acknowledge our favored brand is not the only vessel of quality.

If you buy one, be in love with it. They are mostly not easy to re-sell. Most of the older ones have been repowered by now. Original power in many were the GM 8.2's. I have even seen some Lace's with Renault diesels. Survey carefully as always, and Caveat Emptor. They sure are interesting looking boats though.

I always liked the cockpit in the nose. The last step off the flybridge is a doozy though... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I always liked the cockpit in the nose. The last step off the flybridge is a doozy though... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Actually his name is Fexas, we went to he same school, here is a link to his website. He is an interesting guy and the boats are sweet-riding slippery girls but ditto on the advice both on getting surveys and them being an acquired taste and thus difficult to sell...but then what yacht is "easy" to sell these days.

http://www.tomfexas.com/midnightlace.html
    Shawn
    58 MY

I was on one years ago, wonderful boat, just didn't like the fact that you passed through the master to get to the forward cabin. Always seem to be a few around for sale.

Thanks Guys, for 20 plus knot cruise, updated and enhanced engine HP to 370 Cummins. I don't know of anything better for the money-110 asking but I think it can be purchased for less. This is the rare 1993 or 95 (have seen both listings) 40 ft "sport fish"-note the quotatoins. Twin State rooms, really not bad, but not a claissic hatteras by any means.

9. Re: Midnight Lace

I like a fly bridge for when the weather is good or for spotting fish/birds. But then again there is a reason that other makes exist.

P.S. Good luck, and it only has to make "you" happy. It will still be acceptable to oogle Hatteri, even if you own something else. LOL I still like Bergers, (Hatteras on Steroids)
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

10. Re: Midnight Lace

Try to find out where that boat was built. Most of the older boats were built by Golden Wave, which was actually a yard set up by Cheoy Lee to build Midnight Lace. The boats had fully cored hulls, Tom Fexas wanted to keep the weight down in his very fuel efficient hull. Hatteras owners are not familiar with the problems of a cored hull, which stems from poorly installed aftermarket through hull fittings. If someone added a thru hull or a transducer, without properly bedding the fitting, there is a possibility of intrusion into the core. Ask the seller if he/she knows of any hull problems.

If you buy a Lace you will get attention wherever you go. If you go to a marina in a Hatteras, they might not remember you when you come back a month later. With a Lace that has been nicely redone, you will be remembered.