Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    tomrealest Guest

"The Smart Rail"

There were some posts after the Ft Lauderdale boat show about "The Smart Rail". I'm going to be hauling is about three weeks and was wondering in anyone has had any experiences?

davesommers Guest

Smart Rails

Tom,
    I saw them at the Annapolis Show several years ago and after talking with the company rep decided to give them a try on my 36. They took a day of effort to prep the hull and attach. The effort was rewarded with much less spray across the bow in a quarter sea with a breeze. I still get spray on the bridge curtains, but nothing like before. I used just one section per side.
    One rail got damaged when I hit something in the water. I cut off the torn piece and grafted a new section onto the remaining intact section and it has worked just fine. Be sure to follow all of their directions for the installation.
    I would do it again without question.

Traveler 45C Guest

Re: Smart Rails

Dave,

Did the rails give you any more speed?

davesommers Guest

Rails

No, I did not pick up any noticable speed. I did not run them back very far, just the eight feet of one section starting about 2 to 3 feet back from the stem. They are attached just aft of where the chine begins as that is where they fit under the chine lip.
    I installed them as bow spray rails and they work well for that. The factory guy tried to get me to do the whole length of the boat advising I might pick up some speed, but I didn't do that. It might work but then hauling would require some blocking between the straps and hull. They won't stand up to the weight of the boat in the straps without blocking.