Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Re: Effects of Running Diesel at Low RPM

North Shore Towers? I got to visit those up close once too.

Rockville Centre. A little bigger than North Shore Towers.

But I have pics from NST also. We do work for them too. They have Chicago Pneumatics:

They recently switched to a mix of the diesels and CAT 3600 series natural gas engines.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

"Notice how he didn't blink at the first mention, but later was mystified by the term. Something about ol' Pete's story doesn't add up."

Avenger, having duly noted your alarm that I was unaware of the existence of an air intake MANIFOLD between the turbo output and the blower input, I decided to educate myself. So having a few minutes available I broke out the 53 series, three volume parts catalog. Bottom line is I was unable to find any such part labelled manifold. So, how about some help, please point out the parts in this catalog. I only have the 53 series catalogs, having sold my 71 series parts catalog when we purchased our LRC. So please provide the reference for the 53 series engine to get me started.

Thanks

Pete

So you're hung up on the use of the term "manifold pressure" because you've decided that since a DD doesn't have an intake manifold per se that that term cannot be correct. Manifold pressure is simply an industry term that refers to positive charge developed by forced induction. In automotive circles it's usually referred to as "boost". However when I'm working with the people who operate the engines you saw in the pictures nobody uses the term boost, they say manifold pressure. That's also generally true of industrial engines, generators and trucks.

Every manufacturer has variations in their terminology and unless you're a walking parts manual it's about impossible to get every one correct. Since I deal with engines of many sizes and stripes I tend to use the terminology that is most common and avoid getting hung up on semantics. As long as we can make ourselves understood it's good enough. i.e. if I'm going to get picky about semantics I'll point out that those slots in the liners are not "vents" as you said, they are ports. However I understood what you meant and that was good enough.

So if you want to be that specific; since the airbox on a DD functions as the intake manifold the term is airbox pressure. Same function, different words.

My issue with your comments was that when it first came up you asked what manifold pressure was at WOT which sounds like somebody with some experience and then later you come back with what do you mean manifold pressure, there is no manifold? Which doesn't sound like experience at all. Can you see where that looks suspicious?

1970 36C375

So, in a hundred words or so you admit there is no such thing as an intake manifold on a Detroit Diesel after insulting my knowledge of the engines for not knowing about something so important.

Makes one wonder just how much of what you claim is equally a figment of your imagination. This was not a case of using a slightly different descriptive name, you made up a name and part that does not exist and criticized me for not knowing all about this common well known non existant part.

And the saddest circumstance of the whole event is how many other members accepted what you said as gospel, believing you were writing truth based on your superior knowledge. Please spare me your BS in the future.

Pete

Wow!!!

1970 36C375

GROW UP gentlemen. This is a forum for knowledge not pissing matches.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Manifold pressure is a very common term. In fact, on many engine systems the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) is what reads the pressure of the air charge that is going into the engine (which may be under a vacuum, or above absolute pressure). On airplanes, there is often a gauge on the dash, "The manifold pressure gauge is an engine instrument typically used in piston aircraft engines to measure the pressure inside the induction system of an engine." http://www.askacfi.com/421/what-is-m...d-pressure.htm

In the UK, don't they call a wrench a spanner? Don't they call the hood, a bonnet...the trunk a boot?

By definition in a dictionary, a manifold is: "a pipe or chamber branching into several openings". Seems to fit what a DD airbox is, even if the manual doesn't call it that. Semantics isn't the best way to win a gun fight, is it?
    Last edited by krush; 09-08-2017 at 11:52 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    GROW UP gentlemen. This is a forum for knowledge not pissing matches.
    And to think I was trying to raise the level of civility. But I guess he thinks he's found a "gotcha." I'm sure nobody's calling for warranty because DD left the intake manifold off the engine. This is just delusional. Pete can go on believing whatever he wants. As long as people who come here for knowledge aren't similarly deceived that's fine.

1970 36C375

Avenger, just show us the air intake "manifold" between the turbo and blower where you measured zero pressure, that you were so amazed that Pete did not know about. Total BS, and nothing short of that.

Pete