Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Re: Effects of Running Diesel at Low RPM

I think you're onto something.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Krush, in your scenerio, those guys should and probably would run WOT, and hope that over propping their engines did not tear them apart and start throwing rods through the blocks and even the thick Hatteras fiberglass hull which would lead to the same fate.

Pete

[QUOTE=Avenger;318719]Definition of insanity, is that why you keep repeating the quote?

See, here we go again, a simple quote from our friend Albert Einstein, and you get it wrong.

Albert mentions two conditions required to establish insanity. First that you do something over and over, second that you expect different results.

Since I absolutely DO NOT expect different results, the test fails. Very simple, two conditions required, one not met, test fails.

Pete

I think you misread my meaning there.

But funny thing is, I kept expecting different results too.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Avenger,

Your answer to my question re: fuel injection timing was very helpful...thank you!

You are the man.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

That's what I do. Literally.

Glad I could help.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    So if one is trying to move their boat up away from the storm in Florida that is soon to land, would running the engines at low rpm (1000-1200RPM) cause engine destruction and thus mobility which then would lead to dead-in-water while hurricane sneaks up and destroys/sinks vessel and crew dies after a heroic, but horrific fight to survive as the eye of the hurricane passes overhead?

Just think, they could've survived if they ran their engines at 1800RPM.
    I've done that trip 23 times with the 48 Hatteras/6V92s and they still purr.

Bobk

BobK, there are people who are heavy smokers that live to be 100. Not sure that makes it a recommended lifestyle?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    A six pole back end will produce 60 Hz at 1200 RPM. He's not talking about marine generators. He's trying to draw a parallel to running his DDs at 1200 RPM.
    Oh Now I see

From Krush Link

Most Diesel generators run at 1800 rpm or even 3600 RPM. Not these!!! They run at a slow slow 1200 rpm. This is a design that is hard to beat.They come with a delco brushless alternator that also turns at a slow 1200 RPM. There are not many Diesel generators that are built this tough.
    Last edited by 34Hatt; 09-08-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

The biggest problem with that is cost. Obviously a more complex generator with more copper will cost more. The other problem is engine power. The power curves for engines like that are pretty low at 1200 RPM so you need a fairly large engine for the power you're getting. OTOH large engines run at lower RPM so more poles in the back end are required to get the frequency needed.

For example these Nordbergs don't spool very high. The reciprocating components tend to be a little too massive to crank up to 1800, so a more complex generator is required.

1970 36C375