Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Has anyone used ISSO Mold & Mildwew Remover??

A canvas shop owner told me that it contains no bleach and works great but I would very much like to hear from the Forum first.

Frankly, there have been past discussions on mildew and a search failed to turn up any comments on IOSSO. For that matter it wouldn't hurt to learn of any other new products now on the market.

Responses as always are appreciated.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

2. Has anyone used ISSO Mold & Mildwew Remover??

I've used a mix of about 10% household bleach and 90% water in a spray bottle for all sorts of mold and mildew removal. I use in on white (light cream) SUNBRELLA ..it leaves a slight yellowish tint when dry which the sun bleaches out in a few days...I have experienced no adverse effects over ten or so years of this. I'd be more cautious on color impregnated SUNBRELLA as it could bleach out color...perhaps someone can post about that...
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Has anyone used ISSO Mold & Mildwew Remover??

Don't let bleach get anywhere near the zippers. Almost all zippers are made of acetal which is very easily oxidized by bleach at any concentration.

Bob

I have Navy blue Sunbrella. I have never had any mildew problems with it. I used to clean it using the brew of soap (not detergent), bleach and water recommended by Sunbrella and attempt to restore the waterproof characteristic with the products advertised to do that. It was a big pain (and expensive) to spray the stuff on evenly and control the overspray from getting on the brightwork, etc. - and it still leaked.

I have now discovered that it's much easier and actually stops the leaks to take the material off and have a canvas fabrication/repair shop clean and retreat the fabric. It costs a few more bucks, but it works great. I have a full Sunbrella navy top over the entire bridge/aft deck of our motoryacht. The canvas guy I use will remove it, clean/retreat it (he says he marinates it) and replace it for about $300.

We are now preparing the living room for the renovation, we removed the carpet from the wall and... were shocked. The light-colored wallpaper turned black. I tore them off, the wall is almost the same. At first glance, a fungus or some kind of mold...The first suspicion is on the neighbors. The fact is that right behind this wall is their bathroom. How can I remove the mold for ever? Found this https://cleanhomeguide.com/rmr-86-review/, what can you say?
    Last edited by rytools; 08-11-2019 at 03:36 PM.

[Odd this post has resurfaced, but I have new information and results to contribute.]
    [This thread was brought back to life by new member MattVictor, who posted 6 times in 7 minutes at 5AM and some make little sense, so a troll is suspected.]

Google "Practical Sailor mold removal" and you will find a formula (actually two) that are non-bleach, cheap to make, and probably are the unpatented versions of the one mentioned.

Never use bleach! (always glad to hear BobK even from 2008) It can damage fibers and actually promote future growth with a favorable pH.

I have had great success with the Practical Sailor stuff and a little patience (about a week). Ingredients readily and cheaply available on Amazon. Safe for skin and eco-friendly (essentially lots of detergent phosphorus).

Works on everything from decks/non-skid/fabrics. Spray on, let dry a few days, rinse or scrub off dead spores. Even better if you scrub when wet. A follow-up light and transparent spray prevents recurrence.

DAN
    Last edited by drburke; 11-30-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    [Odd this post has resurfaced, but I have new information and results to contribute.]
    [This thread was brought back to life by new member MattVictor, who posted 6 times in 7 minutes at 5AM and some make little sense, so a troll is suspected.]

Google "Practical Sailor mold removal" and you will find a formula (actually two) that are non-bleach, cheap to make, and probably are the unpatented versions of the one mentioned.

Never use bleach! (always glad to hear BobK even from 2008) It can damage fibers and actually promote future growth with a favorable pH.

I have had great success with the Practical Sailor stuff and a little patience (about a week). Ingredients readily and cheaply available on Amazon. Safe for skin and eco-friendly (essentially lots of detergent phosphorus).

Works on everything from decks/non-skid/fabrics. Spray on, let dry a few days, rinse or scrub off dead spores. Even better if you scrub when wet. A follow-up light and transparent spray prevents recurrence.

DAN
    Good catch. It came up again because that guy is just a bot or spammer. Look at his (its) other posts. Mods need to delete him.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I thought I deleted and banned him. I'll look again.