Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hatt 56MY

Re: Hatt 56MY

[QUOTE=SeaEric;96060]I like the 64 MY and would perhaps own one if I had that kind of coin, which I do not. To my eye, the modern rounded boats with more traditional looking straight windows end up looking like AMTRAK trains or Trailways buses.QUOTE]

I am not a boat broker so I am not an expert on current boat designs by any means. I am not familiar with any respectable-brand modern rounded boats with traditional windows, so I don't really know what specific boats you are referring to. That was just an idea of what might make the 64MY look a bit more like what I think a Hatteras should look like. I bet Hatteras could make it look great with a more traditional window design where apparently others have failed. At least trains and buses are still modes of transportation, unlike the "Nike hi-top shoe" look that so many of today's swoopy-window boats are so often categorized as.

I am looking at the port side of the 64MY right now as I type this from my helm and there are several square feet of "window" area on the exterior that is NOT a window at all! Maybe I am too old fashioned here, but to me if it is a glass window on the outside you should be able to see through it from the inside. From the inside of the boat the window area that you can see out of looks pretty traditional in shape, but from the outside they have serious curves that do nothing for seeing out of (or into) the boat!

I see that the window lines of the new 56MY are significantly less swoopy than the older 64MY. It looks like Hatteras may be on the right track after all.

OMG, thats an ugly boat!! It looks like a 32, not a 56, the porportions are all wrong for a yacht and make it look like some kind of huge runabout. That's fine, but why not buy a Sea Ray if thats what you really want? It's a shame that company with a heritage for making and selling future classics (like the 1510's) would have to stoop to selling giant Bayliner speedboats to stay in business. A sad reflection on the buyer of today...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Whoa! No railings? The Hatt site shows them with railings. I can't understand that at ALL on an MY. Maybe that's an option too.

I thought the same thing. Hopefully they are yet to be installed on the pictured unit.

ThirdHatt, I meant no disrespect in my comment. Sorry if it came off that way. I am by no means any expert either, I do know what doesn;t look right to me. This is what I was referring to: And it is a much larger yacht, a Hargrave design, still ugly.
    Last edited by SeaEric; 03-27-2009 at 04:16 PM.

I still believe that there is a good market for good classic designs like those provided by Hatteras during their "Golden Years" of the 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s. I think that if Hatteras went back on their more popular designs of the past and made modifications in technology and efficiency while still maintaining the classic Hatteras "Look" it would be a successful stratagy, but what do I know.

Rolls Royce, Bentley and most of the real luxury automobiles only make small suttle design changes with each new model and they are always recognized wherever they go for quality and desireability.

While in my opinion, I mostly agree with Eric, except that the lack of a flat foredeck and lack of handrails are very big safety concerns where style preceeded function.

Finally I must say that if I was in a position to buy a brand new 56 or 64, I probably would not. I would take one of the fine old classics and have a quality yard such as Jarrett Bay or others do a complete makeover with modern power, all systems and whatever else struck my fancy. The result would be one hell of a fine boat.

Walt

SeaEric, no problem at all here but you are an expert compared to a guy like me who is not in the business dealing with different boat sales each day! I see your point on that Hargrave. Now that you mention it I have seen a few Hargrave's in the 90-100' range that I did not care for the look of as well.

Change is never easy and as you pointed out small changes are much better received by enthusiasts. As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Hatteras is making what they feel current buyers want. More power to them but I would just like to see a few more more traditional aspects designed into modern boats.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt View Post
    More power to them but I would just like to see a few more more traditional aspects designed into modern boats.
    One look through the pages of Passagemaker and you will see that the trawler manufacturers do still design boats with traditional lines. Those lines are pleasing to the eye and also provide functions such as safety and storage. A boat with no bow rails or opening portlights is not something that will ever be used for anchoring out. If you want to speed from luxury marina to luxury marina, buy a new Hatt MY. If you want to go boating, buy a classic or one of the new trawlers.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I like the 64 MY and would perhaps own one if I had that kind of coin, which I do not. To my eye, the modern rounded boats with more traditional looking straight windows end up looking like AMTRAK trains or Trailways buses. I think Hatteras is on the right track. At least the windows aren't that "cat eye" design!

Here is a sneak peek at the new 56 on seatrial, borrowed from another forum.
    I can't stand the flybridge windscreen and I just don't think the design is as good as it could have been. I am also thinking that the boat looks to "squat" at the stern most likely from the aft engine arrangement. I am sure its well built though for me a few design changes could have really made the new 56 stand out to a larger audience

Most days on the water you will see a classic Hat, you will recognize it on the horizon, in your minds eye, you can picture the helm(s), the engine room door dogs, the robust eletric pannels, the fiberglass tanks and mufflers, you will know that Steve M at Sams can help and you know you are safe under way.

What was the problem again??

JM

I have done a lot of research over the past couple of years on Hatts and I keep coming back to the 53ED. It is the perfect layout and in my humble uneducated opinion has it all over the 54ED, the 56 in looks and layout. The only other Hatt that even remotely entices me is the 61 but that is out of my league with twin 12s. Just my 2 cents worth.