Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hatt 56MY

1. Re: Hatt 56MY

Look at the big three automakers. they went back to classic lines on some models and look at the sales numbers of those cars. The new aerodynamic bodied cars may get great gas mileage but they all look alike and are ugly, no spirit, or class. It is hard to tell the difference between a Huyandai and an BMW from a distance. Even Jaguar is tempting us with a throw back model that plays of design elements of the original E-type. This is what Hatteras should be doing, cross breed great classic lines with modern elements and technology. It would get my interest, otherwise Tom Slane will be building my next boat.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Re: Hatt 56MY

one area where I think Hatteras really dropped the ball in the past 10 years or so is the aft deck.

Most of us 53 MY, 58 YF etc owners know that the area that gets the most use is the aft deck. Saddly, this feature is gone... even on the new 56, and some of the larger new ones, the aft deck is just too small with just room for a smallish table. that half moon table and small settee on the 56 is just plain awful. I understand that some people prefer more space inside but some still enjoy being outside!!!

When i went boat shopping a couple of months ago with the owner who ended up buying the 70 Johnson I took north, I naturally tried to steer her towards hatteras. She was open minded but we couldn't find any under 10 years old with a decent aft deck in the 65/75' range.

On the other hand, the Jonhson 70 (a bill dixon design) has an incredible aft deck, the best part of the boat as well. This is what sold the boat... and despite all that open space, they were able to still fit in a big saloon and galley, 4 staterooms, 4 head (incl a very big aft master). It may not be the prettiest boat on the dock (personally I think the hull/freeboard is a little too low) but the design and layout is terrific.

the aft deck has room for a large oval table for 6, plus a huge U shape settee, and there is still an 8+' swim platform.

PS... any member from the North East recognize the background in that picture? that's one great anchorage!!!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    one area where I think Hatteras really dropped the ball in the past 10 years or so is the aft deck.

Most of us 53 MY, 58 YF etc owners know that the area that gets the most use is the aft deck. Saddly, this feature is gone... even on the new 56, and some of the larger new ones, the aft deck is just too small with just room for a smallish table. that half moon table and small settee on the 56 is just plain awful. I understand that some people prefer more space inside but some still enjoy being outside!!!

When i went boat shopping a couple of months ago with the owner who ended up buying the 70 Johnson I took north, I naturally tried to steer her towards hatteras. She was open minded but we couldn't find any under 10 years old with a decent aft deck in the 65/75' range.

On the other hand, the Jonhson 70 (a bill dixon design) has an incredible aft deck, the best part of the boat as well. This is what sold the boat... and despite all that open space, they were able to still fit in a big saloon and galley, 4 staterooms, 4 head (incl a very big aft master). It may not be the prettiest boat on the dock (personally I think the hull/freeboard is a little too low) but the design and layout is terrific.

the aft deck has room for a large oval table for 6, plus a huge U shape settee, and there is still an 8+' swim platform.

PS... any member from the North East recognize the background in that picture? that's one great anchorage!!!
    Thimble Islands CT ??
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Hey, don't forget the aft deck of the 40DCMY too.

Noel
    who spends most evenings on the deck looking at Manhattan
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Thimble Islands CT ??

So Pascal is this Right what did I win????????
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

yep... you are right? win? who said anythign about winning anything?

how about a cold one if you come down this way?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat