Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hatt 56MY

Hatt 56MY

After the thread questioning whether Hatt is in trouble, I got interested in the 56MY and looked at the hatt site.

It's interesting in how there is a different emphasis now from that on the old Hatt MYs. For example, our 53MY which is considerably smaller (over 2 feet in the beam as well as shorter) than the 56MY has three staterooms and 3 heads; the 56MY has three staterooms and two heads. The 53MY has a 4 burner stove; the 56 has a 2 burner stove. A 53MY has an upper and lower helm; the 56 has only an upper helm as standard, lower helm is optional. The 53MY portlights can be opened; the 56MYs are fixed. The 53MY has 287 gal of freshwater capacity; the 56 has 200. The 53MY has two switchable fuel tanks; the 56 has one.

I'm not saying any of this is good or bad - just a different emphasis on how the boat is used. Obviously the water capacity reflects that nowadays a watermaker would be more of a common option than it was in the old days - though it was optional on our 1980 53 and the wiring diagrams show it's wiring as an optional installation. However, in the specs I did not see where a watermaker was standard equipment on the 56.

It DOES seem odd that the boat in standard configuration cannot be operated from below where the heat/ac is available. We have probably operated our 53MY more often from the lower helm than from the upper. THis makes it appear to me that the emphasis is more toward a "party boat" than a cruising boat. Again, this is not good or bad but is different that what I expected which, I guess, was essentially a 53/58 1510 gussied up with modern styling but traditional emphasis.

I guess us old Hatters are decidedly behind the times in the boating world. Wonder what we'd be doing if we could actually afford to buy/operate a new boat in the same size range? Would we be cruising in a new 56MY or would we prefer an old 53/58MY. I suspect that despite what my heart might say, the "Cool New Stuff" aspect of the 56MY would win out but I'd order the lower helm option!

Re: Hatt 56MY

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I suspect that despite what my heart might say, the "Cool New Stuff" aspect of the 56MY would win out but I'd order the lower helm option!
    I doubt I would own a new Hatteras even if I had the cash to do it. I would be more likely to look at new trawlers or other manufacturers that have boats with more "traditional" styling. Nordhaven is the first that comes to mind, but I'm sure there are others that might fit.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mike - as you know, I have a 56MY. No complaints here that it has three heads and not two and other amenities that make it more comfortable to own than the new 56MY. I do not know whether the newer 56's are cored at all but I am told that mine is solid fiberglass where it counts. If I want something new and sexy, I spend my money on cars--just bought the Admiral a Bentley yesterday. Somehow, the 10 mpg on the Bentley doesn't looks so bad compared to the .3nmpg on the 56 but what the heck, who could put a price on the drop in blood pressure once aboard.

Mike

i think you are spot on! when i looked at the specs for the new 56 a few months ago, i was surprised to see that there hasn't been any design breakthrough in 30+ years

250 gallons water tanks? got that...
    10' dinghy? on a 56 footer? i have a 13' dink on the 53...
    135 sq ft aft deck? 150 on the 53...
    13' side decks? 18 on the 53...
    3 staterooms / 2 heads? 3/3 on the 53... the 90s 54 has 4/3 !!

I'm sure the boat has more space, larger SR, saloon, etc.. but the base numbers are not that impressive. even the 18kts cruise with the 760hp engines...

that said, compared to other offering in that size range, it's certainly a great boat...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hey Pascal--still in Newport I see. It's blowing 20 out of the Northwest here on Long Island.

I would take a 53 EDMY or MY or a 58 MY (Like Angela's) and refit it any day before I spent the cash on the "new" 56.

I don't care for the lines, perhaps in person it will look better to me and I am not so sure how I feel about the new layout. I know it will be VERY well built though.

There's a lot of good argument for going with the new, if money was not an issue. There's a lot of personal opinion in the newer styles versus traditional and the technology is a no-brainer.

All that being said, if money was not an issue, or even if it was, I could hand my 1965 50' MY to a yard for a year and get back an almost brand new boat, cosmetics, engines, most systems, etc for less money. I would still have the style I like, and the performance would be much closer to the newer boat.

If the money issue was not there, I don't think I would have to give much thought to which way I would go. Of course, with the money issue definitely present, I still will stay with the old "50" (same decision either way).

K

Very interesting thread! Gulf Coast Hatteras has a '08 64MY in the slip next to me and we have been comparing/contrasting the differences. Honestly, it looks no bigger than the 58YF. The bow does stick out a couple feet father, but my bow is actually a bit higher!

The new boats are a raised pilothouse design so the aft deck and salon are lower than the galley and pilothouse, which I do not care for. Also, there is only one side door, on the stbd, none on port due to the dinette so for single-hand running you will need to always dock to stbd. The fact that it has 3,100hp simply scares me! I just paid $4.90/gal for diesel in the 31'CC this weekend and almost cried. These fuel prices are starting to cut in on my beer money!

Other than the swoopy windows, it is a good looking albeit modern boat. It seems to me that the designers are trying to make the lines of the boat with the window shapes rather than with the actual structure of the boat. I think that if I were a new Hatteras buyer, I would have the factory put in some more traditional side windows and we would all be quite surprised how good it would look. It would be modern but with a classic feel to it. There you go Hatt! Change the windows and offer a bit more capacities and you now have a "Classic" to offer in the lineup to the well-heeled buyers that still love the older boats but want a new one!

I like the 64 MY and would perhaps own one if I had that kind of coin, which I do not. To my eye, the modern rounded boats with more traditional looking straight windows end up looking like AMTRAK trains or Trailways buses. I think Hatteras is on the right track. At least the windows aren't that "cat eye" design!

Here is a sneak peek at the new 56 on seatrial, borrowed from another forum.
    Last edited by SeaEric; 03-27-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Whoa! No railings? The Hatt site shows them with railings. I can't understand that at ALL on an MY. Maybe that's an option too.