Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

12 volt Battery Charger Rust/Corrosion Performance

A question for the 12 volt folks who have purchased new multi-stage chargers over the past years. How have they held up from a rust and corrosion viewpoint? I am looking at Xantrex, ProMariner, Newmar, and Charles. I have read that some of these have steel screws and fittings that won't hold up well in a steamy engine room.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Re: 12 volt Battery Charger Rust/Corrosion Performance

My Major Power charger looks like new after 5 years, but I'm in fresh water, so.......
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3. Re: 12 volt Battery Charger Rust/Corrosion Performance

Put a Xantrex 40 in my boat along with new batteries in 2004. Not a bit of trouble. Funny thing is, I have added almost no water to the batteries since then..... None in the past 6 months....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Sky, fresh water doesn't count. I'm interested in salt water, hot, humid conditions most of the year. Since I have a polarization transformer in my engine room, that keeps things REALLY hot in the summer.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

You shouldn't have much concern about corosion in the machinery space? Your engines are made of iron held together with steel bolts along with a host of other things that aren't corrosion resistant. Unless you plan to mount the charger someplace low or wet don't worry be happy!!

Brian