Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

record of 53MY warranty work in 1980

Today I ran across a paper in our boat's rather extensive files that I had not seen before. It shows warranty work that was needed in 1981 by the original owner of our 1980 53MY. He took delivery of the boat in early 1981. THese items were noted as needing warranty repair in Aug, 1981 and were done by Hatteras of Lauderdale; they are written below exactly as they appear on the invoice:

1. Correct leak on port and stbd. galley windows, check fit of frame and make sure fastener hits solid glass.

2. Find source of water leaking down bulkhead outboard of refrigerator in galley.

3. Center w/s leaks in a sea but not in a rain - probably leaking around bottom of frame.

4. Fixed window forward of side door on port side leaks - check frame and glass.

5. Windows and panel leak in both side doors to salon.

6. Correct water leak into port engine room around raceway to bridge. Check location and size of bridge drains.

Comforting to see that there were no issues with the actual mechanical systems at all!

Re: record of 53MY warranty work in 1980

I agree. However, if they leaked when new, it shouldn't be a surprise, I guess, that Hatterases now leak when they're old. I had the mistaken idea that window leaks etc were a feature of old boats and that they were dry when new. Now I see why modern boats have so few windows. This, of course, is made possible by modern totally reliable AC systems (LOL).

Fortunately I know the history on my Hatt since new and for most of its life I have been the one who worked on it.
    On my old Chris I sent to the Mariners Museum for the hull card, it listed three warranty items.
    1 6/20/68 water system leak $ 46.85
    2 1/30/69 water in cylinders $95.24
    3 4/70 tach

I would love to know what the water in cylinders was about.

I honestly think I must have one of only 53's that doesn't leak anywhere, at least not any more - of course I've spent thousands permanently sealing the bridge to the salon deck and replacing every window on the boat, some more than once!

When I first bought the boat there was so much water in the salon deck that it sloshed around and down the sides of the salon when I'd hit a wave - talk about a wake up call - I also plumbed the drains from the settees on the bridge so they went straight off the sides of the bridge and not down under the helm... now, unless somebody gets real rowdy with a water hose around the console (which is inside the full enclosure), she stays dry as a bone year round regardless of the direction or speed of the rain/saltwater spray, yachta, yachta, yachta...

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Fortunately I know the history on my Hatt since new and for most of its life I have been the one who worked on it.
    On my old Chris I sent to the Mariners Museum for the hull card, it listed three warranty items.
    1 6/20/68 water system leak $ 46.85
    2 1/30/69 water in cylinders $95.24
    3 4/70 tach

I would love to know what the water in cylinders was about.
    Risers.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau