Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 44 Striker

Cool 44 Striker

OK, I have a friend that is looking at a 44 Striker. The thing he likes about the boat is that it is aluminum vs fiberglass. Aside from the fact that it is not a Hatt, what are the good, bad, and ugly things about these boats.

BTW, I have looked at many of the previous posts related to these boats, but was wondering if there is more info that I can pass on.

Thanks

Re: 44 Striker

I always liked Strikers ... still do ! I've been on 2 of them, one of which I was considering purchasing. I found that they handle strangely as compared to other boats, this is due to the hull configuration. They almost lean in the oposite direction as expected when turning. I also found them to be loud (tin can echo). One was a 60' ... so you didn't hear much on the bridge, but the other was a 34' and it was noisey. They are very "shiplike", which I liked. The other thing that scared me on them was the electrolosis (sp) potential. But ...all of that being said ... I think that you can do WAY worse in a boat choice.
    45C360-1970 ... "Good Bait" - Sag Harbor,NY
    31 Bertram Bahia Mar-1970 ... "Bertramp" - Ft Lauderdale
    21 Whaler Impact-1996 ... Ft Lauderdale, FL/Sag Harbor, NY

I think Jim Rosenthal used to own one. I would search the forum ,as I recall he hated the boat .......Pat

Yeah, I read some of Jim's comments, but they were rather general and didn't get into specifics about why he didn't like the boat. The boat my friend is looking at has 8V71's but I am not sure which type they are (N,TI).

Anybody else want to chime in?

i hve a captain friend who ran a 44 striker, he said it sounded like he was in a beer can in anything over 3ft seas. bigbill

Here is a nice sea trial video of the 44 in action

Good luck with the purchase. hope this works

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...S_enUS221US225

I have worked on a few and they are nice with a few issues.

Noise can be dealt with from the engines but the hull is a big bell so it transmits noise from the outside well.

Weight is interesting. they are built solid. Strong and not flexible yet I believe a 44 weighs in at 25K lbs. It make the ride a bit different than expected on a big boat.

Electrolysis is something to watch for but if properly maintained no big deal.

Paint is almost always a bit more cost and work because it is metal.

You cant just glass an area that was damaged by impact. Welding is no easy but a good aluminum welder will be worth his weight in diesel fuel( more valuable than gold lately)

The seem to last forever and dont rot if the paint and bottom are kept well.

All in all as much as I like them they do not have the support that Hatteras provides us on the older boats. Even so nothing to be ashamed of owning.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

A few hints from an aluminum Roamer owner... Waves slapping at night can be a bit noisy, but knowing youre on a boat makes it comforting. Electrolysis is definitely an issue, but with proper care and dilligence about your neighbors boats and dock connections its not overwhelming. The worst part that Ive found is the anti fouling paint... the cheap stuff is out. Copper or cuprous oxide is FORBIDDEN. Right now there is E-paint and Interlux TRI-LUX for these boats only. The Tri-Lux has TBTF (tri butylene flouride for the biocide) which is illegal is some parts, and its around 250-300 PER GALLON.
    If I didnt find the Hatteras, I sure would have (and did) look for a 57-73 foot Roamer. Aluminum boats around here seem to kinda hold their value. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Yes, Dr Jim owned a 44 Striker. I was charged with the task of disposing of it for him when he pulled the plug on the aluminum boat concept. After years of counseling and much drug therapy, I have mostly put the experience out of what's left of my mind. It was almost impossible to sell.

I will let Jim fill in the details here.

Personally, I would not accept a Striker 44 as a gift.

10. Re: 44 Striker

I first saw a striker in 1977 and thought it was the coolest boat in the world. Got to fish it too. Very different ride from the Egg Harbors, Chriscraft, and Hatteras that I was accustomed. Solid built and very much ship like. But everything always looks good when new. Last year I saw a Striker of the same vintage, and it was not pretty. I went to look at a Berger that had been neglected and the decks were like a trampoline. If you want a real money pit, just buy an aluminum boat that has not had been meticulously maintained. Just think of buying a 70's vintage car from the North East and you will have a good picture. Once you get corrosion, it is extremely expensive to fix and finding a qualified yard to do the work is a challenge, and when you do, get prepared to open you wallet and don't ask annoying questions, like how much is this going to cost?
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com