Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile canadian gun laws

Hello all, I'm a long time reader,first time poster. I am hoping someone can provide me with websites to get the regulations/restrictions for having firearms on board while in canadian and mexican waters by non-residents. I will be retiring from the fire service in about 3 years, and moving aboard with the wife. Just doing some more homework and thought why spend a lot of time looking if someone here knows the answers. Thanks

Re: canadian gun laws

I think/believe the answer is no firearms in Canadian waters (or anywhere for that matter) and no scanners...they will be seized. No pictures at the waterfront, at least in Toronto. Also, there are slugs designed to be fired from flare launchers, also illegal.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Does this mean Canada prefers you not to protect yourself....modern society is so "civilized" .... :vomit:

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Does this mean Canada prefers you not to protect yourself....modern society is so "civilized" .... :vomit:

But terrorists are ok.

No handguns in Canada, but long guns are permitted with special approval. I know that if you want to hunt in Canada you can bring them in. I'm just not sure of what the process is to get the approval.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

No guns in Mexico either, to include flare guns! Boats and/or vehicles are confiscated and violators jailed...

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    True story at Candadian border, a former associate and computer field engineer was in a group headed for Toronto. He gave a smart-off answer to the customs officer, "I going up there to teach you guys how to program, etc.". Ok, out of the car and downhill. Hour later was banned from there for five years!!!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Firedreamer, do yourself ( and any guests aboard) a huge favor and DO NOT cruise with guns aboard. At least not outside your home-state. It isn't worth the trouble. Many laws vary even from state-to-state. Many of us consider our boats as 'a home' but many laws do not consider them as such.
    Do not take a shotgun into Canada without prior permission.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

I just picked up my VA concealed handgun permit today.

Only one person is responsible for my protection....me

edit: my Sabre combo teargas/pepper spray just came too
    Last edited by krush; 04-30-2008 at 10:45 PM.

You can keep a firearm aboard your boat in any state. It is your home and you are allowed peaceable journey. International laws are much more strict. If you do not declare firearms when you check in, you could be in BIG trouble.

Krush,
    It's good to see people like you exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. I believe that everyone who lives in a state that has a concealed carry law should obtain a permit, whether or not they actually intend to carry. If we don't exercise that right now, we may not have it when we really need it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI