Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Adding a transom drain plug

My 74 36 C has the drain plug in the forward bilge under the port v berth bunk. It's extremely hard to reach and I always have to remember to tell the yard to block it with this in mind for proper drainage. Well, I'm pulling the boat for new bottom paint, wax, etc and want to put a transom drain plug in the boat. Anybody do this on their boat and why shouldn't I put one in mine?

Re: Adding a transom drain plug

The only reason I can see is the fact that the boat would need to be up about 15 degrees in the bow for the water to get there.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

3. Adding a transom drain plug

What are you trying to accomplish?

I would NOT do that. But that's a bias on my part.....If you want a dry bilge at haul out, stick a hose where you wish and pump it out if necessary...even before hauling if that's more convenient. I am NOT in favor of any more holes in the bottom of any boat..

Most often water accumulates in the center of the boat length, at the low point, unfortunately under center tanks or engines....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

The bilges drain towards the bow on the Series I 36c. The only drain plug is in the bow. Why I don't know, every other boat I have ever owned had the plug in the transom or in the bottom right at the transom. When the yard blocks the boat if they don't drop the bow slightly the water will not drain forward, most yards have the bow slightly elevated to keep the water from pooling in the cockpit, etc... I want to drain this water from the bilge during haul out and give the bilges a quick scrub each spring, it beats pumping it out or vaccuming it out, the pumps on board don't get it all.

I have always shop vacc'd the boat after haul out for the season, including the bow. Used to have a nice big, that had a hose pumpout built in. But that went bad, so it became overly heavy when full. Went to about a 2-3 gallon unit, which seems satisfactory.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...