Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fiberglass work????

I am in the process of adding the original flybridge to my 34DC. The problem is that the original helm location, almost at the back of the boat, had a windshield. The windshield was mounted to a raised area on the top of the salon. I cut a large hole in the top of the salon for the repower and noticed that the raised section is not filled with core material. It appears to be a solid resin of some kind. It's solid and has so far eaten two saw blades and three grinding wheels. I need to remove it and fare it out to mount the flybridge. Short of the chainsaw, that I actually almost got out of the garage, does anyone have any ideas on the best way to remove this. Is it easier to just cut the whole thing out? Boy do I hope that's not the answer As always advice is welcomed.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Dan B
    1963 34DC
    Last Year's Rent

Re: Fiberglass work????

Cutting plastic with a power saw is no big deal as long as you go slow... blade speed that is. Slow the sawzall down on get a courser blade. Have a helper spritz water on it while you cut.
    I scribe my cut line and try to use the skilsaw for as much as possible leaving the sawzall and saber saw for tighter curves etc. Its no real easy, but its manageable. WEAR A DUST MASK! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults