Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vent Screen Removal

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but I have three of these small DC exhaust fans on the boat with what appears to be a 4" diameter cover screen. Problem is the screens are slowly clogging up and seem to be installed rather tight. I'm afraid that if I try too hard to remove them I might risk damaging the vent body or cause it to come loose from the caulking seal which is applied between the neck and the wall (see photo).

Anybody dealt with this before? Thanks.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Vent Screen Removal

Mine just twist and come off ... friction fit holds them in.

On mine, I had to pull the hose and there were three screws into the plywood from the inside. The 3rd one was junk and out came the #3 channel locks! Junk them and get a nice perko vent. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I forgot to add that the screen and the bezel are one! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

FYI I just bought one at Sam's Marine for $50, I can't believe the price. Mine was badly rusted and I just removed by twisting it. Karl

Don't take it off to clean it. Just turn the fan on and go over it with a stiff brush. The bristles will poke most if the crud through and the fan will suck it out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I do the same with similar screens, use a stiff brush.