Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fridge Rewire

Fridge Rewire

Gents, A question for you with some electrical knowledge. I am replacing the galley fridge on my 1966 41c as the original has gone on to it's greater reward. The original was hardwired whereas the new one wants a plug. The question is : Can I change the hardwire to a more modern plug type installation? Is there any reason to hardwire the new unit? The old fridge seems to have only two wires attached while the new one plainly wants a ground wire as well. Bruce

Re: Fridge Rewire

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    Gents, A question for you with some electrical knowledge. I am replacing the galley fridge on my 1966 41c as the original has gone on to it's greater reward. The original was hardwired whereas the new one wants a plug. The question is : Can I change the hardwire to a more modern plug type installation? Is there any reason to hardwire the new unit? The old fridge seems to have only two wires attached while the new one plainly wants a ground wire as well. Bruce
    My OEM fridge was hardwired as well. It looks like they did it to get the fridge to slide all the way back and not hit the plug. I just cut the plug off of the new one and hardwired it in as well. If you don't what to do that, then mount a box and put a recepticle in it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My OEM fridge was also hardwired (48 Yachtfish). I just put a receptacle in the rear corner and then a stop block on the floor (deck?) so that the new fridge wouldn't slide into the plug. The hardwire had a ground wire in it, so I just hooked it up. Your mileage may vary though.

I would go hardwired as well, plugs can get corrosion and go bad.