Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

About Our Nation's Energy Consumption

A couple of weeks ago I read where France derives 60-70% of it's electrical energy from nuclear power plants. So I did a little research with Dept. of Energy figures and was surprised at the findings (the latest data is from 2006):

About 19.4% of our electricity is generated by nuclear power.

87 million barrels of fuel oil was used to generate electricity by both public and private utilities.

4.9 billion gallons of fuel oil were used to heat private residences.

Most of our electrical energy comes from coal fired plants.

The most efficient production of electrical energy is from nuclear energy.

Besides China and India, this is another reason diesel is so high.

http://www.energy.gov/energysources/electricpower.htm

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able2_2_a.html

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pe..._dcu_nus_a.htm

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/aer/pdf/pages/sec9_5.pdf
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: About Our Nation's Energy Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know) View Post

That depends on what you define "efficient" as. Right now, it's probably pretty easy to argue that monetary wise, the coal power plant is the most efficient. We have quite a bit of coal in America and it will easily "hold us over" until we can build more nuke plants.

The licensing process for nuke plants has been revamped and new projects are already in initial phases. As for why we don't have more nuke plants....the blame lies on Americans and only Americans. France made the technical and political decision to be "energy independent". Most of their plants are all modular and cookie cutter designs. Also, the majority of their higher government officials are engineers. Those two comments are about the only compliments you'll ever hear out of my mouth towards the French LOL

Additionally, we need to use breeder reactors and reprocess used fuel.

[QUOTE=(Nobody You Know);93879]A couple of weeks ago I read where France derives 60-70% of it's electrical energy from nuclear power plants. So I did a little research with Dept. of Energy figures and was surprised at the findings (the latest data is from 2006):

About 19.4% of our electricity is generated by nuclear power.

87 million barrels of fuel oil was used to generate electricity by both public and private utilities.

4.9 billion gallons of fuel oil were used to heat private residences.

Most of our electrical energy comes from coal fired plants.

"Besides China and India, this is another reason diesel is so high."
    ==========
    I am not clear on "another reason diesel is so high". I have had my head buried in a lot of quatitative metrics lately, so I did a quick cruise of the various sites you posted (thanks, appreciated). By and large, all figures indicate that consumption accross all user bases and sectors is either flat or down! So they are not the source of demand increase.

BUT...I did not do any research on increase in consumption/demand by foreign sources, and it just stands to reason that they comprise the primary sources of increase in demand.

Also, FWIW, historically the long lead times for major capital infrastructure projects, has been at least 3-5 years (and that's after the planning and the 'go' approaval is received). The legislative and regulatory process has doubled or trebled that lead time. So the new domestic oil drilling (ND, etc.), gas pipe lines (AK to the lower 48), other drilling or new fracturing techniques, coal gasification, several new oil refineries, means that we won't see softening of prices nearly as soon as it occurred in the past, due to increase on the supply side (maybe Reagan was right...remember supply side econ...). The feds and regulators have hamstrung the market process.

Finally, I notice that there is a groundswell of opposition to the bio-fuels growing worldwide, riots, etc. The US is viewed as the principal idiot in this (we are, are we not, as we are the big consumer of corn/soybean for bio-fuels, based on our legislation). This is one of the greatest dislocations of the marketplace, maybe in our lifetime, by big Guv. At least McCain has been on the right side of this for quite awhile (against bio-fuels).

enuf...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    I am not clear on "another reason diesel is so high".
    Not having any data it wouldn't surprise me if the consumption of oil for home heating and electrical power generation are slowly decreasing. I only pointed out their usage as a reminder of an almost forgotten usage of oil, one that could be lessened with any increases in nuclear power generation. For now it represents another demand for oil and affects price (and Reagan was right too!).

Also, another demand just around the corner is the stagering developments in Dubai involving super hotels, mega marinas, and two vacationing islands (the palm tree island). One hotel will be so high that it will dwarf the Empire State Building. And an amusement park is also in the works that will be some 3 times (?) larger than Disney World. All electrical power to be oil fired! Think oil is high now, just wait.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know) View Post

Also, another demand just around the corner is the stagering developments in Dubai involving super hotels, mega marinas, and two vacationing islands (the palm tree island). One hotel will be so high that it will dwarf the Empire State Building. And an amusement park is also in the works that will be some 3 times (?) larger than Disney World. All electrical power to be oil fired! Think oil is high now, just wait.
    Supposedly the big Dubai projects are in anticipation of their running out of oil in the future! I do see engineering movement to split the combustion streams of coal plants into their constituant components and avoid discharging the output into the atmostphere. You would think that some of the by-products would have commercial value!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

If electric plants were placed near cities, the lower pressure steam/heat could be used to heat the buildings. The low quality heat is useless to the power station but it's still good enough heat to keep the building toasty.

Of course, there is that whole not in my backyard crap.

Krush, you need to design a cheap Vertical Axis Wind Generator for us. Then we can afford all our dino fuel.......
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    If electric plants were placed near cities, the lower pressure steam/heat could be used to heat the buildings. The low quality heat is useless to the power station but it's still good enough heat to keep the building toasty.

Of course, there is that whole not in my backyard crap.
    Wow and old idea is new again. FWIW the steam has been used for hear and AC ( drives the compressor) in NYC for years and other cities too I am sure. The problem is no one wants to live near the plant. Even the people who buy houses by the plants try to shut them down or move them so their property value goes up.

Nuclear? , Solar and geothermal definitely are clean renewable resources but who wants to sell a solar panel once when they can sell you fuel every day?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.